View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #328
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Long Course State Championships @ Savannah

FRIDAY

100 Breast - The day started with Brett's 100 Breast. He started out a bit off, his dive/pullout though not as bad as it was early in the year, wasn't as good as it had been recently. Plus, because he was next to two kids that were easily 5'7" or bigger and 120 lbs or more, he lacked the power they had. He trailed early, but after the turn, started to close. He couldn't catch the two leaders, but he did manage to finish third in his heat and improve by 2 seconds posting a 1:33.55

50 Fly - Bailey started this race, with quite possibly the worst dive I've ever seen her make. She was so deep she was the last to surface and was two whole body lengths behind the rest of the girls in her heat (of which there were only 2 others). Before the race was over she had caught one and almost caught the other, but the dive was so poor she was almost a second off of her personal best. However, it didn't matter as she was DQed for a false start...however the false start was actually her turning her head from looking at the starter to looking at the water after the starter had given the set command. Pretty ticky-tack, but it didn't matter...Bailey was actually more disappointed with her swim than her DQ...

400 IM - I was afraid Bailey wasn't going to do well here after her DQ, but she opened with a great dive and her 100 fly was a 1:27.97, only just over a second above her personal best in the event, and she was first in her heat, even though she came into the race with the slowest seed time of the 8 kids. Her backstroke was also strong at 1:40.31...and she was second at the midway point. However, her breaststroke issues came back in full force. In fact, it was the worst she's ever looked swimming it. She swam the 100 in 2:12 and fell way back (probably because of fatigue from working the first 2 legs of the race so hard). She finished with a personal best of 6:48.11, an improvement of 8 seconds.

Thanfully, Bear didn't have to swim and he got to recoop from the 1500 the night before.

Also, the air quality in the facility was horrible. From the moment I walked in my eyes were burning, and before the day was over all my kids were coughing and hacking. Also several of the kids we were with had the same issues...

Last edited by Breeze : 07-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote