View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #890
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

WORLD SERIES PREVIEW

"So we have the match up in the World Series that many predicted before the start of the season - The Post Nationals and the Negro League 1s...it wasn't as easy as many thought, as the upstart FOFC All-Stars gave the Post Nationals all they could handle. Taking it down to the last game of the season, and more accurately the last couple of innings before finally falling off the pace. They deserve a lot of credit for their efforts and we hope they will be back next season to give it another run, they were a fun team to watch...," Hack Jobb states.

"However, our focus tonight it to compare these two great teams that will be starting to play for the championship tomorrow. They are both dominating on a lot of levels and we are going to take a peek at the different aspects of the teams to try and determine who has the edge..."

"We'll start by looking at the pitching, as pitching is always so important in the post season, and both of these pitching staffs are strong. To help me break it down, I've brought in former pitching great Jim Kaat to get his opinion on the situation. So Jim, lets start by comparing the rotations of these two teams...the Negro Leaguers will probably rollout...

- S.Paige 3.51 15 /12
- L.Day 3.73 13 / 4
- H.Smith 3.81 15 / 7
and if they elect to use a forth starter it will most likely be
- B.Rogan 4.22 15 / 9

And the Post Nationals will counter with...

- T.Seaver 3.06 16 / 2 - who looks like a front runner for the Most Valuable Pitcher in the NL
- S.Koufax 3.30 14 / 3 - who pitched good enough to win a Most Valuable Pitcher award in most seasons
- B.Gibson 4.64 12 / 8
And if they go with a fourth...Gaylord Perry or Juan Marichal, not sure which they would choose."

"Now Jim, on the surface, the starting pitching edge appears to go to the Post Nationals. In fact, It almost looks impossible to beat Seaver and Koufax twice and the Negro Leaguers will undoubtedly face them both at least 2 times and maybe 1 of them 3 times."

Kaat, "Very true. I mean, in total over the entire season those two pitchers only lost 5 times, hard to think they are going to lose 4 games with those 2 guys pitching 4 or 5 of the games in the series, but there are some interesting things to consider. If I'm the Posters, I'm setting up my rotation for Koufax to go first, with the Negro Leaguers being such a lefty heavy lineup...and I mean a lefty heavy, he stands the best chance of dominating. But the rest of that rotation is all right handed pitching, and that might bode well for the American League representatives. Those lefties on the Negro League team can really hit and they could give the Gibsons, Seavers, Perrys trouble..."

"Hard to believe anyone could give Seaver trouble this year..." Hack Jobb quips..."what about the other way around."

We'll the Nationals are a bit more right handed than left, with Aaron and Banks, both MVP possibilities, teaming up with Mays, Clemente, and more...but you have to be careful, because if you get too righty happy, Musial and Matthews will kill you...all that said, I believe Paige will do great in this series, and the rest of the rotation is good enough to win, but if you put me on the spot I'm giving the rotation edge to the Nationals."

"What about the pens?" Jobb follows up.

"Now that is a different story. The pen for the Negro Leaguers is deeper led by Bill and Rube Foster and MacDonald. The Nationals, have good arms, but they really lack a closer. Bunning served in that role must of the season, but he got killed a bunch. He gave up 25 more hits than innings pitched and he walked a batter every other inning. The edge here, clearly goes to the Negro Leagues..."

"Is the pen disparity big enough to give the pitching edge to the Negro Leaguers?"

"Probably not, but if I'm a Post Nationals fan, and it's tight late, I'm holding my breath for sure."

"Jim, thanks for the insight, and before I let you go, is it true that you have been approached about being on a team in this league next time around?"

"There have been some discussions floating around about the league expanding, and I've been contacted to gauge my interest. Not sure where this will lead at this point, but I'm open to having the conversation."

"Thanks again Jim...and after the break, we will look at the defenses and then we'll finish up with the lineups..."

-

Last edited by Breeze : 07-26-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote