View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #57
PilotMan
Head Coach

What I've said all along.

The majority of the problem is on the pilots and the training quality and culture of foreign operators. I flew the plane the last day before it was grounded and it's really nice. Boeing did screw up though. The inclusion of a new system that was on included in the initial training, or how to handle it in the event of a system failure was also not included. The manufacturer assumed that pilots would treat is as a similar failure, which it is, sort of, and if they did, it resolves the problem and regains control, but in the Lion Air instance, that company was also at fault for not addressing the concerns of a previous crew regarding the problems they were having. The Lion Air pilots were not experienced, and without being able to speak to their training I can only assume it was similar to Asian carriers, who for years have taught pilots to fly the automation as the most important thing. Pilots in the US are trained to fly first, then deal with the automation, but that isn't the standard elsewhere. Africa is notorious as one of the most dangerous places to fly, but Ethiopian is actually one of the safest in the region. Similarities point to similar system issues, but pilot response to the emergency will be a critical item to look at. I am confident the plane is safe. US carriers have pilots who are very well trained and will be able to deal with the failure should it occur here. I would not have a problem flying it again today.

This article in the Seattle Times yesterday gives a very good accounting of the entire situation.

Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system | The Seattle Times

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote