Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM   #620
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420223/

3 of 5 stars, thumbs up

Very entertaining movie, definitely something i'd rank in the "pleasant surprise" category. Will Farrell was pretty solid in a mostly serious role. There is definite hope for him having a crossover career in the style of Jim Carrey. He'll still be a predominantly comedic actor, but he can play serious believably.

I was mostly happy to see that the Queen Latifah character was pretty understated and not as big a part as the original trailer had led me to believe. I'm was also happy that the Maggie Gyllenhaal character was believeable enough, and again not as over-the-top as the original trailer had led me to believe.

I enjoyed the script, and thought it made for a pretty unique film. I'll definitely at least look into what the next writer's project is. Zach Helm is the writer I speak of... it was his first movie.

Overall I was pretty surprised at the relative degree of sublety in the movie... the trailer had led me to believe otherwise months back.

I just saw this one recently and agree with everything you have said. I normally hate WIll Farrell and have not been overly impressed with Maggie Gyllenhaal, but they were both very good in this movie.

Silent Hill - 3.5/10 I'm not a huge fan of horror movies, but I occasionally like the try them out and be scared for a couple of hours. The first two thirds of this movie was fairly decent and creepy, but like most movies of this type, the revelation of the mythos behind all of the creepy was a big letdown. Also the IMDB FAQ on this movie was almost as long as the script which means the director couldn't have done a very good job of telling the story.

Bridge to Terabithia - 7.5/10 This movie is not at all like it appears in the previews. It is not a fantasy movie, and it is not a new Narnia-type movie. This is a coming of age movie which highlights the power of imagination and friendship. I was pleasently surprised by this movie. It evoked a lot of different emotions and was generally well done. AnnaSophia Robb is going to need to find some time for acting lessons as she grows up, but she does do cute very well.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote