View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #126
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Ended up running every day of the week last week for a total of 36.4 miles in 5:08:10. Ran a tough 2 km with my 10yo son on my rest day last Friday. It was humid & hot. I didn't mind it but _HE_ had a hard time. It's mostly mental, I mean, it was a 12 minutes run and he's 10, in super shape (he's a competitive swimmer who, in peak season trains 4 times 90 minutes in the pool, lapping close 2800 m in every training) but after about 500m he was whining and ready to start walking. I simply cheered him on, trying to keep him going at a relaxed pace and we got it done in preparation to this Friday's race day where he will race the 2K and I will race the 5K, my first every timed try at that distance.

Highlight of my week was the long run on Sunday, an out and back run from our home to my dojo for 90 minutes. Was a highlight because I used it to compare and reflect a little on my progress in the last year. My dojo is about 7 km away from our house and running out to it and back had been my big distance goal most of all Summer last year. I did that first run out and back on September 1st last year.

The two runs were run very similarly, which is at about the same fairly easy pace.

Last year
Garmin Connect
14.39 km in 1:21:03 for an average pace of 5:37/km (9:04/mile), average HR: 135 BPM

This year
Garmin Connect
16:45 km in 1:31:26 for an average pace of 5:33/km (8:57/mile), average HR: 123 BPM

Pace very similar but last year's run was done in September and started at 7:30 am while this year is end of jun/start of July and done at 8:30 so finishing when the sun is stronger. Still the pace for both run is somewhat similar, this year's being a tad faster yet the heart rate is a good 12 beats per minute less this time around. And last year I even took a 3 minutes break in which I paused my watch to take a couple pictures of the dojo before heading back home.

Based on my HR data in last Thursday's progression run in which I cut 15 seconds per km off my pace every kilometer over 40 minutes, I'd say I could run at a pace around 4:45 to 4:50 with a heart rate at 135. That's between 7:39 and 7:47 per mile or an improvement of 1:17 to 1:25 per mile... Yeah, I'm a data junkie...

I clearly remember a moment on the way back when I felt so free, running easily with the HR showing as no more than 125. I could have gone on for another 5 km easily. I remember last September's run, it was my longest ever at the time and that 14 km was more than enough...

Continuing with some more data, the month of June was a good bounce back month, following the low mileage month that was May. I ran for 140.98 miles in June, for a time of 20:24:09. That's my second best ever, only 2.5 miles less than my best that was April 2014. I'm set to obliterate those numbers in July as my training plan calls for about 160 miles in the month with no races other than this Friday's 5K.

I also finished a plank challenge for June only taking two days of break. started it with 3 minutes, then went up to 3:30 after maybe a week then up to 4 minutes another week later. Never went above 4 minutes, probably my next step, but I did take this morning off from it.

This week's training:
MON: 5.5 km recovery run
TUE: 6x 400m @ 5K pace (was supposed to be hills)
WED: 5 km easy/recovery run
THU: Rest
FRI: 5K Course du Grand Lévis (evening race)
SAT: 5K recovery
SUN: 1:45 easy long run (105 minutes if that's not clear)

Yeah, my half marathon plan called for hills/incline work this morning but I didn't feel comfortable doing that only three days before a race. Sure, it's only a 5K but it'll be my first timed 5K ever and I'd like to do well so I reverted back to 400m repeats at 5K pace to sorta help me get the pace down. Very happy with how it went too. There'll be a lot of mental talks to be done on race day but I felt good with the pace. I'll be trying to hit a sub-20 5K so the split time I was shooting for was 96 seconds. My splits this morning:

Average pace of all 6 repeats: 3:50/km. That'd give me an awesome 19:10 time over 5K. Yeah, riiight As I once said, it's the mind that needs convincing. The good news is that my average HR over the 6 repeats this morning was right at 140 BPM without walking in between, simply keeping an easy jog going over 300m of rest. Way I see it, this HR will probably shot up to 150 after 2 km of that pace and will get close to my usual end of race HR after 3.5 or 4 km... We shall see...

FM