View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #127
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

This morning, I had my last run before this Friday's 5K. It was supposed to be a simple 5K easy run with a rest day tomorrow and the race on Friday evening but I wanted to test that 5K pace over more than the usual 400m interval reps I've been doing for the last couple months so I set out with 1.5 km warmup followed by 2.5 km @ 5K pace (4:00/km for a goal time of 20 minutes) then some cooldown.

I got the 2.5 km done in 9:56.8 so just about what it would take to get the 5K done in 20.

Before this morning, I thought I could get it done over 5K based on intervals and such, but now I'm fairly confident I can push through another 10 minutes at this pace. What's 10 minutes?

Looking at the data from my watch, I see I will need to work on keeping my cadence a bit higher. Garmin Connect

From close to 200 steps per minute, I gradually let my cadence drop to about 182-184 toward the end of the 2.5 km stretch. To be able to sustain the 4:00/km pace, I think I need to stay at at least 190 SPM, except maybe for the last km or 750m when I'll go into lastkick/suicide pace mode and give it all that's left in the tank. Then, I know my cadence and form will get thrown out the window as I expect to lengthen my stride and go into heel striking...

Heart rate was kinda settling around 158 toward the end of the 2.5 km and I think it'll remain there for at least 1.5-2 km until that last kick where I expect it to shot up to 163 or so. There'll be time to breathe and rest after the finish line.

This will involve some big work on the mental side of it for the last 2.5 km but I can do it. I can do it and I will do it, watch me!

FM