View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Soooo .. yesterday, that top Valdosta assistant I mentioned backed out on taking the smaller school job. (the 2nd time this decade he's done that to a school btw). That might have foreshadowed something, but not what I would have guessed.

The GHSA dropped the hammer (relative to what we usually see) on Valdosta this morning

The Georgia High School Association has fined Valdosta at least $5,000, banned the football team from the 2021 playoffs and declared an unspecified number of players ineligible, which likely will lead to forfeiting the team’s seven 2020 victories.

That ban is notable, as it's something rarely used here (last time was 2013 on a metro ATL basketball team that basically held open tryout camps for prospective transfer). I can only think of only one other football postseason ban and that was for a violent incident that occurred in-season.

The fine is also notable. While it may sound like loose change in the context of larger sports, it represents the largest single fine ever levied by the state governing body.

I have to think this might be a career-ender for Propst.

GHSA fines, bans Valdosta football from playoffs | Georgia high school football