View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #138
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What it really makes me think is that if there's something that is "10 years off", there's a good chance someone already has it if there's a use for it in the military. Technology moves unevenly so some things may be behind and others ahead. But time and again, when things are declassified, we see "futuristic technology" in use.

It makes me think that when you see a trade magazine that says "this will be common in the next 10 years", you can guess that if it can make money or make military sense, it's already here in some form either just in infancy and on the fast track or already fully developed but not industry standard yet.

SI

Since part of my industry involves imagery data, I recall years ago there were publically promoting revolutionary 2m resolution. The military (as well as the same companies that were making available the 2m resolution) were privately snickering since they were already generating and using 0.5m accuracy (Now it's 0.5m for public by federal law but spy satellites go 0.3m).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote