View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

May Our Reign Be Green and Golden: Crusader Kings Dynasty

So I've been bummed about Bognor Regis sucking it lately in my FM/WSM game and I haven't gotten in the mood for the Phoenix league lately.

You know that that means, especially for a Gemini like myself.

That's right, another game, another dynasty!

I visited Paradox's website and found they have gobs of new beta patches, so I downloaded the latest one and fired up a new game. I'm starting off as the Count of Agder, which for those unfamiliar, is in Norway, right on the southwest coast of the country, at least on the CK map.

If anyone has any questions about the game as I go along, just let me know.

And here it begins.

December 26th 1066: County of Agder

Two days after the Festival of Christ's Birth, Count Lodin of Agder, ruler of the county of Agder, stood on the balcony of his castle looking over his domain.

The county was neither rich nor poor by the standards of other European holdings of this size, producing nine-tenths of a goldoon a month in profit. (Goldoon was Lodin's own personal unit of measurement when simplifying larger sums to a more accessible ruling stick). While the family had been ruling for several generations, Lodin hungered for more.

A thin, pale, blonde Norwegian, the count was not of particularly strong stock and he was plagued with a small court, consisting of only a female cousin who was just 16 years old. Her name was unimportant, though for the time being she served as the Spymaster.

Rubbing his eyes, pale blue irises whose surrounding white pools were shot through with lines of red from too much revelry the past few days, Lodin once more went over the line of thought he had been following for the past pair of hours.

First, it was imperative that he be married. At twenty-seven, he was getting up there in years by his personal timetable, and he wanted to be wed. Looks and nationality were of no concern, nor were any potential inheritances he might get out of it. All that mattered was talent and willingness. Once he was sufficiently bedded down in matrimony... Ahh, the plans he had. But first, to wedlock.

It was time to send out the messengers across Northern Europe's island and peninsular countries and see what available brides were there. He would only go south to the Continent if it was an absolute necessity, for Lodin did not trust the hotter blood of warmer climates to be in his Viking line.

With that in mind, the count of Agder turned and disappeared inside his castle. The dream of a thousand hardships to be overcome would begin with this first, simple task.

After all, what girl wouldn't want to marry an ambitious nobleman?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote