View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

June 8th 1067: County of Agder

Cundo of Agder, nee` of Eu, wept. In her arms was the cold corpse of her infant daughter.

"Sigrid, why were you taken so soon from us? Is this God's punishment for your father who is away at his war? Ah, daughter, why did you have to go? I wanted to see you grow up, teach you how to be the best kind of woman. But now you are gone and I am alone."

The whole county mourned, all save Lodin, who was away at sea.

November 8th 1068: County of Mide

Corpses littered the battlefield, a succulent cornucopia for the carrion crows circling overhead.

379 of Agderese men had warred with 434 Miden soldiers and at last, after many days of struggle, Count Lodin's forces had emerged victorious. 134 troops remained after the field victory and presently a siege was starting.

The Count of Agder's victory dinner in his tent was interrupted by a messenger, heaving with the exertion of his news and the effort needed to get there.

"Your Lordship, I regret that I bring bad news. The nobles demand Prima Noctae Rights and your daughter Sigrid has died."

Lodin's face showed no reaction, remaining as inscrutable as it had been before the harbinger entered. Biting off a hunk of lamb from the leg he was eating, he replied, "I have witnessed the death of many good men over the past days. The death of a little girl means nothing to me in comparison. As for the nobles, give them whatever rights they wish. The peasants are worthless."

"As you wish, Your Lordship." The messenger bowed and exited.

One of Lodin's captains, having overheard the exchange, stared at his liege in shocked dismay.

"Are you not sad for the loss of your daughter?"

"She is a sacrifice to Heaven for this great victory. I would welcome the death of my entire family if it meant my greater glory."

This was to be the guiding principle of Count Lodin of Agder for the rest of his life.

June 12th 1069

Nearly a year after the death of his daughter, Count Lodin was still fighting in the County of Mide. The rotten King of Denmark had stolen the seige and had afterwards made agreement with the Count of Mide whereby Murchad was allowed to keep his title after paying 7 goldoons.

And so the Agderese army was forced to fight Mide again on the field. Once more they emerged victorious, but this time, just 49 men remained to carry on the seige. On the horizon was Olaf, the King of Norway's army.

"If my victory is stolen again, I will disband the army and return here another time", vowed Lodin as he sat in his tent.

So close to success and yet so far away...

On July 24, seeing the little progress being made in the seige, Lodin disbanded the army and returned home.

Now thirty years old, he felt the urgency to produce an heir posthaste.

Continuation of his line was more important than a futile seige, he concluded.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote