View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

August 4th 1069: County of Agder

"Look, there it is! A royal ship sailing without Olaf on board! They're headed to Mide, no doubt! I'll summon the army at once and we'll be off."

His pale eyes shimmering with the lust of renewed war, Lodin stepped forward on the pier, staring out on the dark waters of the sea, gaze fixed upon the vessel in the distance. "We'll get there and with their help, we'll finish the siege of Mide and take the title, since Olaf is heading home!"

"...Don't be absurd, cousin. It is clearly a trap. King Olaf wants you to commit your army there so that you are further weakened. Then, when you think you have the province in hand, he will swoop in and claim the glory for the victory. Besides, you have only eight goldoons left in the treasury. You will go into debt over a war that you will not win in the way you need to. Stay here, cousin. Our House depends on your patience in this hour."

Lodin scowled and retreated, nodding gruffly. Though he did not want to admit it, once again his Spy Master was correct. Her wisdom and cunning were why he had not married her off, despite repeated suitors, and for her own part, she showed no inclination for matrimony.

"Very well, Snofrid. I defer to you in this."

The woman smiled, "Excellent, cousin. You are not happy about it, I know, but it is necessary for the long-term survival of our family."

If only that weren't so, thought hot-blooded Lodin.

March 9th 1070: County of Agder

"My wife is once more pregnant. We are still officially at war with the County of Mide and have 372 men ready and willing to fight. With 18 goldoons in the treasury, we may go a little into debt, but it will easily be recovered by the dual incomes we will have then."

As punctuation, Count Lodin banged his fist on the map of Europe. Once more, he and Snofrid were in the Room of Secrets, as they'd taken to calling it.

His cousin tipped her head to the side and nodded, "What you say is true, but King Olaf presents a problem as before. However, I think I have the solution. Through my agents, I have learned that the neighbouring heathen chiefdoms of Reval and Dorpat to the east are absolutely defenseless. With no standing armies, you should consider yourself free to declare war on both chiefdoms. Olaf will become occupied with taking those territories to expand his power there, which will leave you free to occupy Mide. There is a risk in giving the King two territories in exchange for your one, but right now, territory is imperative to expanding your power and I do not see either Bergenhus or Telemark becoming available any time soon, even if Jon only has two daughters. The choice is yours."

It took Lodin only a moment to decide.

"We go to war again."

Declarations of war were sent out that very evening.

Perhaps this time a Norwegian would become an Irish lord.

April 3rd 1070: County of Agder

"Your Lordship! The Tribe of Livonia has declared war on us!"

The emissary burst through the marching army to present the dire news to the Count of Agder.

Lodin paused and glanced at his captains.

"We will continue on to Mide. Livonia poses no threat to us. They are also at war with our King Olaf and King Sven of Denmark."

One of the captains cleared his throat and added, "Sire, I heard rumours from the mercanery soldiers we passed a few days ago that the Livonians are also at war with the Principality of Novgorod and another county besides ours as well."

The Count smiled and nodded at the messenger, "So you see, there are too many fronts for the Livonians to fight on now. They will not even come close to approaching our borders. I thank you for your message, however and hope you continue to serve me well."

A frown appeared on the boy's lips, but he bowed and left in silence.

He only hoped that his liege's confidence was rightly placed...

September 9th 1070: County of Mide

"With this signature on this document, I, Murchad O'Neill, formally do surrender my title as Count of Mide to Lord Lodin of Agder, Count of Agder."

Sorrow painted the former nobleman's face as he declared his abdication. He had given up his title without a single Agderese man having to be killed.

What had transpired was that two regiments of the King of Norway's army had attacked Mide and overrun it before Lodin's forces had even arrived there. Adding insult to injury, the Norwegians looted the province of everything of value, even going so far as to rape the women and steal even the thinnest of oxen.

Wanting to prevent further harm to his people, Murchad accepted the demand of surrender from Lodin's messenger the moment that it arrived.

The new Count of both Agder and Mide smiled serenely at the small crowd that had gathered to witness the historic moment. True, Mide would not produce anything for some time until the ravages of the pillaging had worn off, but he had now succeeded in increasing his power, and was only 18 goldoons in debt for it.

The first step to greater power had now been taken.

Even better, he had received word that on May 8, a son had been born, named Torstein.

The of Agder line now seemed assured of success.

May 8th 1071: County of Agder

It was the first time one of Lodin's children lived to be at least a year old.

An extravagant feast was held throughout the Counties of Agder and Mide as the people celebrated the good fortunes of the of Agder family.

Yet, in the Room of Secrets, not all was well.

"I find it troubling, cousin. Count Dun Sleibe of Ulaid has just wrested the title of Count of Tir Eoghain. You know that he holds no love for me, as I vanquished his ally and took his place. I suspect that he holds dreams of becoming King of Ireland. Too, it is disturbing that Mide still remains unproductive thanks to that damned looting army."

Snofrid sighed and rubbed her temples. It was truly a chore dealing with the tensions of her cousin at times.

"Dear Lodin, you need not worry. Count Dun will not attack you so long as you remain a loyal vassal of King Olaf. More important for you is to think about getting the County of Dublin. If you can seize that, then you can declare yourself the Duke of Meath and you will not need to worry about how to become the Duke of Bergen."

Lodin smiled grimly, baring his teeth, "An excellent plan Cousin, save for the following problems: firstly, I do not have the influence I need to be able to seize another title. Secondly, the County of Dublin is owned by the Duke of Leinster, arguably the most powerful Duke in all of Ireland and the one most likely to become King as it stands right now, for he not only owns extensive territory, but has vassals to support him besides. Thirdly, it requires money to both wage war and declare myself the titles you would have me claim. We are still in debt and are likely to remain so until Mide is repaired from the pillages of conquest. I can do nothing but wait."

A surprising smile bloomed on Snofrid's lips upon hearing that reply, "Excellent, cousin! You are fast learning to grasp all levels of a situation! Perhaps you are not so hot-headed and impetuous as I've thought you all of these years."

Lodin growled and beckoned to the door, "Enough of this! Let us go and celebrate my son's first year of life."

"Yes, let's."

And so the two scheming cousins went to join the celebrations.

With greater power comes greater responsibility. The House of Agder was still very much in danger of crumbling, but for the first time, there was the whisper of genuine hope stirring on the wind.

Would Lodin seek to expand his influence in Ireland or would he strive to increase his power in Norway?

Or would some other avenue present itself.

Time and time alone would tell.

The former Count of Mide

Lodin of the Two Counties

Dun of the Two Counties

The well-supported Duke of Leinster

The birthday boy and future hope of the of Agder line

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote