View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #50
Izulde
Head Coach

November 1st 1086: County of Agder

"In his infinite and bountiful mercy, His Holiness Pope Anselm I has graciously permitted your Grace, Count Torstein of Agder of the Counties Agder, Dublin, and Mide, to return to the arms of the Mother Church and once more receive the Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist for the pittance of four hundred and twenty-five goldoons."

The sum demanded drew silent gasps from the three women of the court. It would set the Tri-County's finances back for decades. Still, even in spite of it, Cundo silently prayed that her son would accept the offer and redeem his soul. No earthbound glory could ever hope to complete with the glory of the Kingdom of Heaven in her eyes.

Trond Galtung, now the Diocese Bishop, sat at a table and said nothing, occupied as usual with stuffing his face, this time with cheeses. In the other corner of the room, the new Marshal, Olaf Gunn, was also silent. A far more religious and capable man than Trond, Olaf had simply showed up one day at the court and requested asylum. It was immediately granted by Torstein, who delighted in having the chance to have a younger and more talented tutor again.

"What does the Pope not understand? I told him before that I piss on him and my opinion of him has not changed! Go away and never disturb the peace of my court again!" Torstein's eyes gleamed with an acidic fury, the danger in them apparent to the Holy See's envoy.

Left with no other option, the Papal messenger simply bowed and left. Cundo's heart broke and all was still in the room, save for the slovenly sounds of Trond's munching.

A week and two days later, Torstein was proclaimed a heretic. His soul's damnation seemed all the more assured.

March 1st 1087: County of Mide

In January of 1087, the Agderese clergy rebelled again against Torstein and once more they were crushed.

Not to be outdone, the Mideans took to arms in February and so Marshal Olaf Gunn was sent out to defeat the insurrection in the first true test of his abilities. When the new month came, the rebels had just about been taken care of, when a golden opportunity arose.

"General Gunn, we've surrounded the O'Donnell house. Here is our chance to burn it to the ground and kill their entire line! Then we'll need not have any worry about dealing with their treachery any more!"

Olaf stood and surveyed the impressive three-story structure. The O'Donnells had continued to do well for themselves, even despite the death of their men, who often led the revolts. Much business came from patriots throughout Ireland who did not want to see a Norwegian with a strong presence on the mainland. To be rid of them and eliminate a snake whose fangs were quite an annoyance was a strong temptation.

"...No. It is not the Christian way to burn down the homes and slaughter the innocent members of other Catholic families. The traitors will be dealt with according to the proper laws. We will not inflict needless death, simply for the sake of slaking our thirst for revenge."

And so it was that because of the courage and restraint he showed in not destroying the O'Donnell line when he had ample opportunity to do so, Marshal Olaf Gunn was called a hero by the people of Mide and he became known throughout Europe as a merciful and forgiving man.

Torstein's peity hits negative triple digits

The new Marshal after the umpteenth Midean revolt

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote