View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
In my lifetime maybe the closest thing John Lennon? And yet he was far enough removed from the Beatles that, I would think, many weren't as impacted as they would have been if it had come in the early 70's, IE 2- 3 yrs post Beatles?

It is so sad, unbelievable for all of the families. Laker fan and loved Kobe's game. Had a friend call me, he was golfing and it came up on somebodies phone, and asked if I'd heard. I thought it had to be a bad internet rumor/story, changed to CNN as they were just announcing it. One of those things that, even after a couple of days and so much tv, it still doesn't seem real.

Was talking about this on Sunday with a friend of mine. We couldn't name anyone in our lifetime that matches a combination of the level of celebrity and the out of nowhere nature of this. Lennon is the closest thing we could come up with and that was outside both of our lifetimes.

When you look at the level of celebrity, how he was idolized by multiple generations of players and fans, the way it happened, the fact that he had been all over the news cycle the night before, and his daughter was with him it's something that is so tragic and stunning that it's difficult to find a comparison.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote