View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #732
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
I think these "free" solutions (whether it be health care, college, housing, or whatnot) would be ultimately very bad for America, and I think history and human nature provide plenty of evidence to support that conclusion.

I would then argue that we have spent a very very long time giving away free solutions to supposedly capitalist institutions. Auto bailouts. Farming handouts (which I'm not totally against in certain circumstances). Corporate welfare. Low or zero tax burdens to corporations willing to locate in certain areas. Sports team owners. The list goes on.

At what point, instead of subsidizing the rich, do we start investing more in the lower and middle class, a place where the VAST majority of Americans lie?

Yeah, you are going to have freeloaders. It goes with the territory. What's worse, 10 million lower class sucking off the teat of American "giveaways", or 1,000 people basically running the government by corporate fiat?

If you really want the USA to lead in the coming tech heavy, robotic future, then lowering the barrier of access to college is a great way to go. Lowering the barrier to healthcare is a great way to keep your citizens healthy and prolong their lives, which coincidentally is good for a capitalist society, as it prolongs their working lives as well.

But free stuff=bad because the GOP says so, despite the fact that the amount spent on healthcare as a % of GDP would actually decrease. OK.

Last edited by Butter : 09-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.