View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Mon. July 30, 2018

Preseason Friendly
Carnoustie Panmure (Scotland – East Superleague) vs. Queen’s Park FC
Laing Park, Carnoustie, Scotland

Carnoustie Panmure are part of the East Superleague in the Scottish Junior Football Association. They shouldn’t put up much of a fight in this one.

We’re using this game to refine tactics and hopefully it will provide some confidence as we approach our first league game. We’re starting a mix of starters and backups and will go back to our narrow 4-4-2 formation.

Queen’s Park: 4-4-2 Diamond Narrow (4-1-2-1-2) Gegenpress (Positive Mentality)
GK – Jordan Hart
D – Ciaran Summers, Gerry McLauchlan, Izhaak Ahmed, Ross Gilmour
DM – Gregor Fotheringham
MC – Malky Breen, Dylan Thomas
AM – Kurtis Roberts
S – C. Higgins, Ewan MacPherson

Carnoustie 0 - 4 Queen’s Park
Goals – Connor Higgins 3 (9.6), Kurtis Roberts (8.3)
Assists – Ross Gilmour (9.0), Malky Breen (7.8), Ewan MacPherson (7.9)
Player of the Match – Connor Higgins
Other Dover Notables – Jordan Hart (7.2), Izhaak Ahmed (7.9), Gerry McLauchlan (7.6), Ciaran Summers (7.6), Gregor Fotheringham (7.5), Jamie McKernon (7.4)
Attendance – 65 (38 away)

-- We scored all four goals in the first half and then called off the dogs. 18 year old striker Connor Higgins looked like a superstar against admittedly poor competition but I may give him a shot to play in the first team at some point soon. We held 60% of the ball and outshot Carnousite 15-6 (7-4 on target). Honestly, I’m not super impressed…I’d like to see more shots on goal against such a poor team and we gave up too many good chances too. We need to be better when the games count.

-- Winger Zldan Akers has a tight hamstring and won’t be ready for our season opening game against Peterhead.

August Update

-- We hit August and we have a pretty reasonable schedule out of the gates, with four League Two games (Berwick Rangers and Albion Rovers at home; Peterhead and Annan Athletic away) and a first round Irn-Bru Cup match against Falkirk, a Championship side, in Falkirk. Tough draw.

Transfer OUT

-- Our worst nightmare comes true. After seeing him reject multiple overtures over the past month, stalwart centre half Izhaak Ahmed accepts a contract offer from Assyriska FF in Sweden’s third tier and departs with immediate effect. He was our best DC but now he’s making 250 pounds per week and playing professional football. A huge blow just before we start our league season.

-- After the announcement is made, fellow DC Daniel Nimmo, who has battled me since the day I signed Ahmed, comes out and says he wants to stay at Queen’s Park now that “his place in the squad is assured”. Give me a break – if I wasn’t desperate I’d cut him right now.

Transfer IN

-- We sign 20 year old defensive midfielder Ross Finnie, a 3.0/4.0 talent, on a free. Finnie comes from the Wolves youth setup in the English Championship so this feels like a huge deal for us. If he’s as good as I think he is, I’m guessing he’s a target for other teams as well. He’s better than incumbent starter Gregor Fotheringham and once fit, he’ll be playing.

Next Up -

-- Our regular season in Ladbrokes League Two play begins, as we travel to Peterhead to face the pundits choice for promotion.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-23-2018 at 09:43 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote