View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #20
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Sat. August 11, 2018

Ladbrokes League Two
Queen’s Park (0-0-1, 0 points, 8th) vs. Berwick (1-0-0, 3 points, 5th)
Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland

Betting Odds: Queen’s Park: 6-4 (Favourites) Draw: 2-1 Berwick: 13-8
Past Meetings: 0W 0D 0L

We are the slightest of favourites against Berwick Rangers FC, who are coming off a season-opening win against Stirling, 1-0. This is Berwick’s tenth straight year in League Two and they are coming off an 8th place finish last year. They’ve had extended periods of time spent in League One over the past 40 years but their last year in the Championship was 1980/81. The media picked them to finish 4th this year and their key player is Maciej Dabrowski, their goalkeeper. I’m also told we need to watch out for striker Greg Hurst in today’s matchup.

As favourites, I’m going to go with our 4-4-2 narrow diamond one more time. We will make a few changes to our starting eleven, bringing in striker Ewan MacPherson to play up front with Josh Peters. Vice captain Dylan Thomas will play in the midfield today and I introduce some speed to the middle of my defense, brining in newcomer Kesi Omolokun. Right fullback James Grant also comes in to start and brings a bit more speed to our backline.

Queen’s Park: 4-4-2 Diamond Narrow – Positive Mentality
GK – Jordan Hart
D – Ciaran Summers, Daniel Nimmo, Kesi Omolokun, James Grant
DM – Gregor Fotheringham
M – Dylan Thomas, Jamie McKernon
AM – Kurtis Roberts
S – Ewan MacPherson, Josh Peters
Bench – Sam Lidington, Cammy Foy, Ross Gilmour, Ross Finnie, Derek Young, Kyle MacDonald, Connor Higgins

I tell the team in the room I expect a much better performance today. Berwick start with a 5-2-2-1 formation, with two wingbacks and Greg Hurst alone up front. Dabrowski, as expected, is in goal for Berwick.

1’ – We take the opening kick and our opening attack is deflected out for a corner. Kurtis Roberts sends the corner into the box and it’s left fullback Ciaran Summers sending a forceful header into the corner of the net. What a start!!! QUEEN’S PARK GOAL 1-0

31’ – We have an extended period of possession and send a ball out wide to James Grant. His low cross is to the near post and Josh Peters slides and boots the ball into the net! QUEEN’S PARK GOAL 2-0

HALFTIME – A pretty solid half of football. We held 56% of possession and outshot them 8-4 (2-1 on target). I’d like more chances but you can’t fault a 2-0 lead through 45. I tell the boys I’m pleased.

64’ – Things are pretty quiet. I pull off an ineffective Jamie McKernon and bring in Derek Young.

68’ – We have another corner and again, it’s Roberts with a beautiful cross to the far post and it’s headed in by Kesi Omolokun, his first for Queen’s Park! QUEEN’S PARK GOAL 3-0

72’ – We bring on youngster Connor Higgins, taking out goalscorer Josh Peters.

78’ – One more change, as we insert Ross Finnie in place of Gregor Fotheringham.

We hold them off the rest of the way. Super.

Queen’s Park 3 - 0 Berwick
Goals – Ciaran Summers (8.6), Josh Peters (7.4), Kesi Omolokun (8.4)
Assists – Kurtis Roberts 2 (8.3), James Grant (8.4)
Man of the Match – Ciaran Summers
Other Dover Notables – Daniel Nimmo (7.6), Dylan Thomas (7.0)
Attendance - 1038 (186 away)

We held 57% of possession and outshot them 13-6 (5-1 on target). A very solid defensive effort here, as they had very few highlights in this one. We move into fifth place on the table with the win.

-- In other League Two action, Clyde destroys Stirling 6-1 and sit top of the table with a perfect 2-0-0 record and a +8 goal differential. Edinburgh City, Annan and Peterhead all win as well and all have perfect starts to the season as well.

League Two Players of the Week

-- Two Spiders make the Ladbrokes Scottish League Two Team of the Week, with fullbacks Ciaran Summers and James Grant getting honoured for their fine game against Berwick.

-- Speaking of Ciaran Summers, league leaders Clyde have been sniffing around the last couple weeks and I find out that they have offered him a contract. Once again, it’s looking like I’m going to lose yet another of my best players to a professional club. This isn’t an easy job!!!

Next Up -

-- We face the impossible, as we face Scottish Championship side Falkirk in the first round of the Irn-Bru (Challenge) Cup.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote