View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #402
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

(I choose the east. Enemies of the Drakkar are to the south and west, so it makes sense to approach from a different direction if possible)

You abandon the shelter of the bridge and work your way slowly along the ice-filled ditch to a point directly in front of the tower. Here you settle to observe the Drakkarim guards who are dutifully keeping watch over the eastern approaches to the town. All you can see of them is their brutal faces peering out of the horizontal slit which runs the full circumference of the tower. After a while, three of the four Drakkarim leave the tower by a staircase at the side. Only one remains, and you decide that now would be the best time to make your move, before the three return or before their replacements show up for duty.

Prarg insists that he go first; he has crossed here once before and he knows a safe way through. The ground looks clear but there are concealed pits out there just waiting to snare the careless or unwary. You nod your agreement and, as soon as the guard turns his face away from the observation slit, Prarg makes his run. Crouching low, he half-runs, half-scampers across the clearing, keeping low and zig-zagging as he weaves a safe path through the pits. It takes him thirty seconds to reach the base of the tower, then he slips around the side and takes cover beneath the steps before beckoning you to follow.

You take a deep breath then launch yourself out into the open. With heart pounding you run towards the tower, following in Prarg's footsteps which are clearly visible in the snow. You are halfway across when suddenly the guard's face reappears at the observation slit. You pray your camouflage skills will keep you hidden for a few seconds longer, but then you see something that shakes your confidence. The guard raises a curious square of glass in front of his eyes, and at once you sense it possesses magical properties.

(I pick a number. I get a 3 and add 1 for my rank)

The guard's eyes, made unnaturally large by the lens, narrow as he stares intently across the snowy eastern approaches to the tower. Immediately you slow yourself to a halt, fall to the ground, then begin utilizing your camouflage skills to keep you hidden from his unblinking gaze.

With your cheek pressed flat to the snow, you glance firstly at the guard's face at the observation slit, then to Captain Prarg who is now climbing the stairs to tower door, his sword ready to hand. He reaches the door, throws it open, and disappears quickly inside. For a few moments there is complete silence, then he reappears, sheathes his bloodied blade, and beckons you to hurry to the tower.

Swiftly you rise up out of the snow and run to the tower where you meet up with Prarg at the foot of the wooden steps.

'That guard'll not be raising any alarms,' he says, cocking his thumb behind him towards the tower door. 'And they'll not find him too soon, neither.'

You smile knowingly. Then Prarg points to an alleyway that lies sandwiched between two burnt-out hovels at the edge of the town, and suggests you go that way.

'Lead on Captain,' you say, and follow as he runs towards the alley's shadowy entrance.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote