View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 05:08 AM   #422
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The journey downstream passes swiftly and without incident until, shortly before noon, the sky grows steadily darker. An orange glow illuminates the distant horizon, and you can see many pinpoints of fire spread all across the land. An eerie silence descends on the flotilla as it draws nearer to the city of Darke. Shortly after, you see lines of troops marching towards the glowing skyline. Then you witness isolated actions taking place in the surrounding fields as groups of Lencian knights, cut off during the retreat, fight desperate hand-to-hand battles with Drakkarim cavalry. Some Drakkarim horse scouts have reached the river bank, and as you pass them, they open fire at you with their bows. But the swift current soon carries the flotilla away and there are few casualties.

It is an hour past noon when you first see the forbidding city of Darke. A great battle is raging around its mighty walls and bastions, and the noise and stench of this fierce conflict comes gusting towards you on the chill winter wind. The river current is getting stronger as it approaches the sea, and so you signal to the other boats to row for the bank. You put ashore on the right bank and both Captain Schera and Baron Maquin have their men take up defensive positions here. There is a road close by, running parallel to the river, and beyond it lies a snowy expanse of open plain on which many regiments of Drakkarim, and some Giaks, are marching towards the city. You are observing the distant battle when a large black carrion crow lands on a nearby log and stares at you with a cold, beady eye.

(I use Animal Mastery)

You hold the bird with a mental command and use your skill to converse with it. Its response is rudimentary, but you are able to understand that many warriors, dressed in metal and riding horses, are approaching the river from the north.

You tell Captain Schera and Baron Maquin of what you have gleaned from the bird, and the Baron says, 'It sounds to me that a troop of Drakkarim cavalry are coming this way.'

The Captain agrees, and both commanders pass the word to their men to stay hidden and keep completely silent.

(What I think is funny is that Animal Kinship, a LONG, time ago gave me the ability to converse with animals, and I’ve just regained it with Animal Mastery. There is actually a conversation between you a mouse-like creature in Fire on the Water)

Patiently you keep watch to the north, expecting to see the appearance of enemy cavalry at any moment. You do not have to wait too long, for within minutes of deciphering the crow's warning, you see the first few outriders of a Drakkarim platoon crest the horizon. You magnify your vision and recognize them to be part of Magnaarn's own army. They are carrying lances topped with pennants that bear Magnaarn's personal emblem: an eagle clasping two fiery swords. Steadily these cavalry scouts draw closer. They are riding directly towards the river.

(I roll a 0)

With bated breath you watch as the cavalry approaches. You recognize them to be Zagganozod, a unit of armoured Drakkarim cavalry of a type you once encountered many years ago, during a quest that took you to the land of Eru.

The enemy horsemen reach the road where they draw their mounts to a halt. They exchange a few words, then they turn their horses towards Darke and gallop away towards the battle that is raging around its walls. As soon as they are out of earshot, Schera and Maquin's men let out a collective sigh of relief.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote