View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #444
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You have ridden to within five miles of the hamlet when you are forced to leave the trail and take cover. Ahead, you see a group of Vakovarian bandits encamped on a bridge which carries the trail across a fast-flowing stream. Rather than risk a confrontation, you follow this tributary of the River Storn a mile downstream until you happen upon a shallow bend where the water is fordable on horseback. You cross here, make a wide detour, and then return to the trail a mile beyond the Vakovarian’s encampment.

The trail gradually descends towards the burnt and derelict hovels of Vorn, clustered in squalid disarray around a greystone quay. Vakovarian bandits occupy the ruined hamlet and you decide it wise to leave the trail in case they have posted a lookout. A copse of stunted firs offers you a good hiding place for your horse. You tether him here, and then gather some grasses and roots for him to eat while you are away scouting the hamlet.

You have no difficulty entering Vorn unseen. From the first-floor ruins of a burnt-out inn on the outskirts of the hamlet you make a careful observation of the Vakovarians. They seem to be systematically looting the ruins and transporting their ill-gotten booty to a fishing boat which is moored at the quay. You are watching this boat closely when suddenly your concentration is broken by the sound of a yapping dog.

(Yes, I have Animal Mastery. Man, it that skill needed a lot here!)

A one-eyed mongrel is standing in front of the inn, its head cocked defiantly at the first-floor window through which you are observing the Vakovarians.

Mentally you command it to cease its infernal yapping and it responds by running away along the street, whimpering pathetically, as if it has just seen a ghost.

Most of the bandit activity appears to be going on around the quay. In order to get a better view, you leave the inn and make your way down through the ruins towards the lake, taking care to avoid those Vakovarians who are out looting. The burnt-out shell of a meeting hall offers you an unobstructed view of the quay and its flagstoned square. You hide here, invisible among the charred roof timbers, and watch as a curious scene unfolds on the quayside.

Tied to a stone obelisk in the centre of the quay square are three Acolytes of Vashna. They are guarded by two Vakovarian brigands who keep themselves amused by bullying and tormenting them.

For the past hour the sky overhead has become increasingly grey and thundery, with occasional storm flashes illuminating the northern shore. Now this storm is crossing the lake and the lightning is beginning to strike dangerously close to the quay. The brigands seemingly ignore this danger, so preoccupied are they with their petty cruelties, but then something appears on the surface of the lake which commands their attention.

(I do like the idea of bandits going after the Acolytes hard here)

A massive bank of grey-white fog is rolling across the water towards the quay at an unnatural pace. When it is just a few hundred yards from the shore, a volley of lightning bolts comes hurtling from its core to explode against the quayside wall with devastating effect. Several brigands are incinerated where they stand, leaving nothing but glowing piles of ash to mark their passing. Then, suddenly, a massive longboat emerges from the wall of fog and comes speeding towards the quay. Glowing bolts of energy dart from its prow to explode upon the deck of the Vakovarian ship. One of these bolts passes high between the masts and arcs through the air towards the quay. You watch with mounting horror as it comes speeding directly towards you.

(Yes, I do have the Sommerswerd)

You unsheathe the sun-sword and strike out at the approaching bolt in a desperate attempt to deflect it away. It strikes the edge of the blade and you are blinded by an eruption of searing white light. The Sommerswerd has negated the force of the bolt, rendering it harmless, but the shock of the impact sends you reeling backwards. As you fall you knock your head on a charred timber: lose 2 ENDURANCE points.
You stagger to your feet and shake your head to clear your blurred vision. The first thing you see when your sight returns to normal is the attacking longboat as it collides with the Vakovarian ship. With a deafening screech of twisting metal and shearing timbers, it shudders along the length of the starboard side, sending the brigands who are aboard cartwheeling helplessly across the deck. Grappling lines are cast and boarding planks lowered, and before the Vakovarians can recover, a screaming horde of red-robed acolytes are amongst them, slaying all without quarter.

On the quayside the Vakovarians are gripped by panic. Many flee to the ruins, but there is a core of battle-hardened ex-mercenaries who band together and attempt a counterattack. Bloody fighting rages along the quayside as the acolytes try to recapture the three who are tied to the stone obelisk. The prisoners are eventually saved by a trio of Acolyte Elders, each of whom is armed with a glowing wand that discharges an incinerating blast of energy against any brigand foolish enough to stand in their way. The Elders retreat to the long boat with the freed prisoners, but the fighting has started to spread beyond the quay. There is a sudden noise to your left, and when you turn to face it, you see two Acolytes of Vashna racing along the street towards you with bloodied swords held ready to strike you down.

(I can use Kai-Alchemy, Magi-Magic, or fire a bow if I want)

(I don’t have Magi-Magic, so K-A it is.)

You whisper the words of the Brotherhood spell Lightning Hand and point at the onrushing acolytes. A tingling sensation runs down the length of your arm which culminates with a bolt of blue-white energy. It shoots from your index finger and explodes between them, killing them instantly.

Suddenly a piercing note blares out above the din of battle: it is a war-horn and it is sounding the recall to the acolyte longboat. You see those Acolytes of Vashna who are fighting in the ruins suddenly break off their combat and race back to the quay in answer to this command. Their mission has been achieved. They have recaptured their three brothers and now the time has come for them to depart.

As you watch them streaming along the body-strewn quay, a bold plan springs to mind, a plan that could enable you quickly to discover the truth about what is happening at the Maakengorge. If you were to don a red robe from one of the acolytes you have slain, you could infiltrate the ranks of those acolytes who are now fleeing back to the longboat.

(So which do I choose? Don the red robe and head to the boat? Or stay on the shore? This is the first major choice in the game. This is probably where the main plotlines diverge. Read one this time, do the other later. In the past, I have pulled off infiltrating the Cener Druids, the Darklands, and Vassagonia. I think I can do this here too. Plus I think my skill set, which include Kai-Screen, is liable to get me through)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote