View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #110
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
See my edit above about the tipping system basically just being a "dick discount". By tipping, you're just subsidizing the service or product cost of people who don't tip. If there's 10 orders, and 7 people tip $5, that's $35. I'd rather Amazon just pay the employees and spread that $35 cost among all 10 customers, rather then penalize the tippers. Of course in reality, Amazon wouldn't pay a whole $35, they'd pay much less, which is the whole reason corporations love the tipping culture, it saves them money.

And yet, tipping breaks out the costs. Amazon's price for goods is the same, regardless of which you charge (aside from the 1 hour delivery on Prime Now, or the overnight delivery on regular Prime). Then you have a suggested tip, which is designed for the consumer to pay extra to the courier for the added hassle of delivering in a 2 hour window.

I find hidden fees rolled into the cost of an item to far more aggravating than a broken out "tip" or "tax". Economically speaking, it allows for people to actually see how much things may actually cost.