View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #127
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I always associated tipping with employee's individual efforts and service, not how impressive the company's product and manner of delivery is.

If a local pizza company sets up some system where they have a ton of locations and can get me a pizza in 2 minutes, that's pretty cool. But I don't see why that driver is personally more entitled to a tip than the guy in his shitty car who went through traffic and got me a pizza in 30 minutes.
But I look at it as the quality of service. For pizza delivery, it's the quality/condition of the pizza and the speed at which it is delivered. The establishment should setup a process through most drivers by which I get both in good quality. It makes no sense to tip a guy who brings colder pizza 30 min later the same as a guy who brings hot pizza in just 5 minutes. Granted, it might not be the "driver's fault", but he gets credit/blame for the process his workplace sets up for him to work under.

Quote:
The "above and beyond" in the first example is all about the company and its system, so I would expect to pay that company more for its better system. It wasn't the driver that made the difference. He's not working any harder, he's just delivering more pizzas in a more efficient system.
I guess that's a distinction without a difference to me. If a driver is a complete f-up and still delivers me good, quality pizza in 5 minutes: he's getting a better tip than the "James Brown of pizza delivery" who is forced to go across town on his route and gets me colder pizza much later. Even though the latter guy works harder, my focus isn't on the work ethic of each driver, but rather on the quality/timeliness of the pizza I receive.

Last edited by Arles : 07-14-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote