View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #131
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
So, if a bartender mixes a crappy drink, but is super busy and nice to you - you would tip more than a normal bartender who makes a great drink but isn't that busy? I'm all for rewarding effort, but the product is the essential piece of the equation. Give me a crappy product and that pretty much ruins the experience - no matter how nice you are when you hand me the plate of sh*t.

In that example the bartender is responsible for the crappy drink. A pizza delivery guy usually isn't the same person that made the pizza, and a waiter isn't usually the same person that made the food. On the flip side, if a Amazon courier gets me a package in 2 hours, or if a pizza delivery person from the place next door gets me pizza quickly, it's not due to the amazing ability of the employee - they didn't design the Amazon 2 hour courier system and they didn't strategically put the pizza places to ensure fast delivery.

Edit: I'm assuming you meant that the bartender made a crappy drink because of lack of skill or effort. If I just ordered a shitty beer or cheap drink or something, I absolutely would tip that bartender more for it (at least %-wise) if he was a good bartender, than I would an inattentive bartender who made me a very expensive drink. %-Wise, the biggest tips I leave are for the bartender at the dive bar down the street who makes my cheap drinks very strong and always takes my order right away, and for the waitresses at the cheap 24-hour diner down the street. I'll go as high as 40-50% for those people and I won't hesitate to do 10% for shitty service at a nicer place with a better product. Because the tip is for the service, not the quality of the product. With Amazon, the 2-hour courier thing is the product. It's not something special and extra that the employee is doing, its the entire nature of the PRODUCT that dictates that it be there in 2 hours. It's what you're paying for in the first place.

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2015 at 02:19 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote