View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #143
sabotai
General Manager

Metropolis (1927)

Directed by: Fritz Lang
Starring: Alfred Abel, Gustav Frohlich, Rudolph Klein-Rogge, Fritz Rasp, Brigitte Helm
Length: 153 min
Genre: Action / Dystopian Sci-Fi
Based on: Original Screenplay by Fritz Lang and, his wife, Thea von Harbou

Metropolis is as much of a movie as it is a work of art. Similar to Murnau's Nosferatu, Fritz's Expressionism is shown not with twisted set designs, but larger than life scenery. Everything in this movie is big. Doorways, staircases, machinary, it's all very large.

The movement of the workers at the M-Machine is probably the best example of how much of the movie is a choreographed dance, a moving work of art. It is also the best example of the overall theme of the story. Immediately after an accident occurs, new workers are rushed in to continue the work while the injured are carried off.

The main plot of Metroplis follows Freder (Gustav Frohlich), the son of the man who runs Metropolis, Joh Fredersen (Alfred Abel). Freder witnesses the accident at the M-Machine and is shocked by what he sees, and he also becomes infatuated with a woman preacher, Maria (Brigitte Helm). After witnessing the accident and the living conditions of the workers of Metroplis, Freder decides to help them.

The film had numerous cuts when it was released in the late 1920s. When originally released, it was 210 minutes long, but it was recut and the part the was cut out is thought to be lost. In the American version, it was recut and the main plot was mostly cut out because it was thought to be too controversial.

The film was also one of the most expensive movies made. It cost 7 million marks, which would be about $200 million today.

One of the best movies I have seen so far, but it just felt like it was missing something. I dunno, maybe I'm just partial to F.W. Murnau, or I need to watch a few more Fritz Lang movies to really appriciate his writing and directing, which I will certainly be doing.

Entertainment I give it a solid 8, mostly because of the lost parts of the film. Having to sit up and quickly read through several screens describing important pieces of plot is possibly the most jarring thing that can happen while watching a movie. Granted, it's the way it has to be, but nonetheless, it slammed the brakes on the pace of the movie and my enjoyment of the movie whenever it happened. Historical, 10 out of 10. Many people believe it is the best silent movie ever made. A lot of people also have it as the best German Expressionist film. It would also be impossible to measure the film's influence, which started the moment the film was released to the present day.

Entertainment Rating: 8/10
Historical Rating: 10/10
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote