View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well he was a terrorist (and there is the question can terrorism be justified if facing an oppressive regime, which all sorts of modern day consequences)

It's tough to have that debate in modern times with the modern emotions surrounding the term "terrorist", but it's the one I find the most interesting. We Americans should love a good revolution though. It's KIND of hard to put myself exactly in this position, but I figure if I was a black guy in South Africa in the 50s, I probably would not be as restrained as Mandela and the Umkhonto we Sizwe were. But, they obviously did carry out quite a bit of violence. But, I think there's a time and a place where violence is necessary. I think most people think that, we just pick and choose who we want to criticize for carrying out violence, because it's a pretty easy go-to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
... but he emerged out of prison a person who wasn't into violence anymore, but was into forgiveness and that's is what really made him praiseworthy (IMO).

And ya, of course, maybe the post-transition stuff was a more important and impressive part of his life because it's exactly what South Africa and the world needed just then, and it would have been easy to go a different way and settle more old scores. I just find the rebel stuff more interesting, maybe just because it's kind of "forbidden" and I get the feeling it's hard to find real info on it that's not either minimized or exaggerated.

Last edited by molson : 12-06-2013 at 05:07 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote