View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #126
Tasan
College Starter

The Triton returns home and the troops offload themselves and the collected alien artifacts. A million dollars is collected from the items sold off, and that's added into our general funds. The end of the month is fast approaching, so our monthly funding should be coming shortly. Word is that our benefactors feel we've been doing a good job so far, so the check should be good.

Paperwork has cleared on the last two of the ten aquanauts that came earlier. Here's a look at the latest members of X-COM:

Abe Sargent
Spoiler
Kills-0

Icy
Spoiler
Kills-0

I hesitate to order more recruits. We stand at 22 right now, and payday is coming. Standard contract says we pay for a month no matter how many days you are active for it, so I don't want to bring on more guys now and have to foot the bill for them. We'll wait til February. I do order construction to start on a wide-array sonar. Its pricey, but with this location I feel we are letting some contacts slip by because we can't see them. It will be ready by the end of February they tell me.

Its getting flat out cramped in Base Atlantic. Everywhere you look, an alien doodad is stashed in a corner, under a desk, jammed into a closet. Next month, I think we'll look into opening a new base for storage, research, and manufacture.

The days drag on again. The end of the month arrives, and as expected everyone loves the job we're doing so far, getting an Excellent rating overall. We'll see how long that lasts. Our funding increases substantially. This should really help us expand in the coming months.

After returning from the review at the UN, I immediately order a new base to be constructed in the South China Sea. It will be 10 days til the storage facility is finished, and as soon as that's done, we'll start work on a lab, another storage facility, and a living quarters. My goal is to move most research and development to that location, but I also think we can use it as another base of operations, so I also order a sub pen to be created. We still have over 2.5 million in the bank, so I order 10 more scientists and 10 more engineers. This will max out our lab space for the scientists at the Atlantic facility.

The three days passes quickly waiting for the new techs. When they arrive, the scientists are all placed on the sonic rifle project, and the engineers are put to work assisting the manufacture of the Medi-Kits. We'll continue to make Medi-Kits to sell until we have other projects we can work on.

Time continues to creep by, and I'm beginning to wonder if we've scared the critters off. It's been a full week and a half since we last saw action. Some good news comes in a couple of days later. The eggheads have figured out the alien's Sonic Blasta Rifle. The look to be FAR more accurate and 3 times more powerful than our Jet Harpoons. I instruct all of them working on that project to move over to the clip project. One of the scientists from the the rifle project takes one look at the clip research, erases some figures and writes a couple of things down, and say “EUREKA!” The rest groan and roll their eyes, but the result is an immediate breakthrough with the clip! I order our entire stock loaded onto the Triton for immediate use, and tell the now idle scientists to start working on the alien grenade.

We settle in for a few more days of nothing. On the 9th of February, our sonar techs hit the general alarm. A large blip, at least 3 times bigger than anything else seen so far, has been spotted. This is quite a dilemma. Our interceptor subs have been damaged going up against the small alien vessels. Can they withstand something this big? Discretion if the better part of valor, I tell myself, and I order the sonar operators to track the contact and keep me updated. Tracking reports the ship moving towards the US eastern seaboard. As it nears the coast it slows, then stops. My hotline starts ringing. The UN special council on Alien Affairs is on the line with the Mayor of Boston, who is reporting sightings of creatures coming out of the harbor and attacking civilians. I order the Triton to Boston immediately. Lets see how we fare on land.

Last edited by Tasan : 08-04-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote