Thread: ATBL (OOTP 14)
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

League Championship Series Recaps

Chicago Cubs vs Philadelphia Phillies (8-6)
Game 1: Joe Jacobs gets the ball for our Cubs to start game one and proceeds to get lit up to the tune of 6 runs in 5 innings. We get crushed, 8-1. Not a good start.
Game 2: We send our ace, Edwin Hickman to the mound for game 2 and he doesn’t do much better than Jacobs. Hickman lasts 6.1 innings and gives up 4 runs. Our pen gives up another, but our offense keeps pace with 5 runs of their own to send it into extra innings. In the bottom of the 12, SS Ernie Banks hits a walk off 2 run home! Cubs win 7-5 and even the series.
Game 3: Steve Morris improves his playoff record this season for us to 3-0 with a 0.74 ERA. We pound out 20 hits and win in a total blowout, 17-1! Four of our players had 3 RBIs each, including Francisco Soriano who went 4 for 6 and scored 4 runs as well.
Game 4: With the 2-1 Series lead and the Phillies starting one of the top pitchers in all of baseball, I decide to not throw Jacobs back out there and instead start the rookie, Nick Mason. Am I mailing this one in? Maybe, but I’ll have my top 3 ready to finish this. Mason only lasted 4.2 innings and gave up 3 runs. The pen held steady for the most part and the game was tied 4-4 after 9 innings. In the top of the 11th, Ernie Banks hits a solo homerun, but our closer, Diaz has already pitched 2 innings so Woodhams comes in and gives up a walk followed by 3 hits, including the walk off. We lose 6-5.
Game 5: We turn to the fully rested Joe Jacobs and he delivers a 7 inning, 1 run allowed performance. We get a Jasper Boyce HR among our 4 runs and win 4-1 to take a 3-2 lead heading back home!
Game 6: We send a fully rested Edwin Hickman out to pitch at home. He fails again, going 6.2 innings and gives up 6 runs. We kept pace early on but once we fell behind that was it. We drop this game 8-6 and now have to face a game 7.
Game 7: Both starters are horrible and the game is tied 7-7 after 7 innings. It comes down to the battle of the bullpens and (OK, I’m gonna blame the game) OOTP puts in my 4th best reliever in the 6th inning with 1 out. He gives up their 7th run which ties the game. Fine. He finishes the inning, then comes back out for the 8th. He gets through that inning unscathed. Then he comes back out for the 9th! My 4th best reliever, who is a far cry from my top 3. He gives up the game winning run and we totally blow a great chance at a series win. We lose the game 9-7.

Philadelphia Phillies win the Series 4-3.

Minnesota Twins vs. LA Dodgers (8-6)
Game 1: Koufax pitches 8 innings and gives up 1 run. CF Luis Perez knocks in all of the Dodgers runs as they take the first game by a 3-1 score.
Game 2: The dodgers were getting shut out 2-0 heading into the 8th innings, but a 2 run homer by Tomas Molina ties it in the 8th and Pat Campbell’s leadoff double in the ninth proves to be the winning run in a 3-2 victory for LA.
Game 3: Rodrigo Santos keeps up the tradition of great Dodger starting pitching, going 8 innings and giving up 1 run. The pen gives up 2 meaningless runs in the 9th, but Dodgers cruise 6-3.
Game 4: Koufax on short rest again. You would think the Dodgers would have learned, but no. He is not as sharp, giving up 4 in 7 innings and the Dodgers cannot sweep, falling 4-3 to the Twins, who are still alive.
Game 5: It is the year of the walkoff. In a 3-3 game, the Twins Armando Rojas blasts a 3 run walk off in the bottom of the 9th. Twins win 6-3 and stay alive for at least one more game. The series moves back to LA with the Dodgers up 3-2.
Game 6: The Dodgers are finally able to close out the series thanks to Pat Cambell’s 2 for 4 with 4 RBI performance. LA wins this one 6-2.

LA Dodgers win the Series 4-2.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote