View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

FM14 - The Cambridge Crusade

Cambridge, known for academia and a consistent, if unspectacular football squad, Cambridge United. Founded in 1912, the U's most recent hay day came between 1991 and 1993 when they spent 2 season in the Sky Bet Championship division.

Between 1993 and 2005 they bounced between League 1 and League 2, before settling in the Skrill Premier (Formerly Blue Square) division. It is time to lead a return to glory, with the goal being the Premier League.

The crusade will not be easy. The U's play at Abbey Stadium, which holds 8600 and I inherit a team with a maxed payroll budget, no transfer money, no parent club and a lack of players that fit my preferred system. I will be incorporating a 4-1-3-2 and a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond, both narrow and similar philosophies.

My first order is getting a parent club and I land Huddersfield from the Championship league. The deal will pay us over 45K annually and give me a channel to get some players on loan, especially midfield, where we are weak.

After the dust settles here is the final first team rosters, with the most likely first eleven in bold.

Cambridge, known for academia and a consistent, if unspectacular football squad, Cambridge United. Founded in 1912, the U's most recent hay day came between 1991 and 1993 when they spent 2 season in the Sky Bet Championship division.

Between 1993 and 2005 they bounced between League 1 and League 2, before settling in the Skrill Premier (Formerly Blue Square) division. It is time to lead a return to glory, with the goal being the Premier League.

The crusade will not be easy. The U's play at Abbey Stadium, which holds 8600 and I inherit a team with a maxed payroll budget, no transfer money, no parent club and a lack of players that fit my preferred system. I will be incorporating a 4-1-3-2 and a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond, both narrow and similar philosophies.

My first order is getting a parent club and I land Huddersfield from the Championship league. The deal will pay us over 45K annually and give me a channel to get some players on loan, especially midfield, where we are weak.

After the dust settles here is the final first team rosters, with the most likely first eleven in bold.

KeepersChris Maxwell - 23Alex Rose - 17
FullbacksTom Bonner - 25Kevin Roberts - 23Richard Tait - 23Harrison Dunk - 22 Greg Taylor - 23
Central DefendersIan Miller - 29Josh Coulson - 24Michael Spillane - 24Tom Champion - 27
MidfieldersLuke Dobie - 20Liam Hurst - 18Luke Berry - 21Nathan Arnold - 26Reece Gray - 20
ForwardsAndy Pugh - 24A Cunnington - 25Liam Hughes - 21Tom Elliott - 22D Sam-Yorke - 24

Maxwell, Dobie and Gray are loaners and we have some flexibility here. I don't have a true DMC, but Spillane and Champion can fill the role and both Taylor and Bonner can play all three back line positions. Hughes will get the first nod as Target man, but Cunnington will get plenty of time as well.

Friendlies - We fair well here, albeit against fairly weak competition.

Cambridge U21's - Draw 1-1
Gillingham - Draw 2-2
Bury Town - Win 2-0
Bishops Stortford - Win 3-1
St Neots - Win 2-0
St Ives - Win 2-1

On to the regular season, which opens 08/10/13, home to FC Halifax.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote