View Single Post
Old 02-18-2023, 09:22 AM   #9
Critch
lolzcat

The Episode Where The Anchorage GM Doesnt Understand the Rules.

Post number 8 and finally some games.

Since the Anchorage Huskies were well below the salary floor there was still money to spend on Free Agents to fill in some weak spots. Unfortunately the free agent cupboard was pretty much bare. A goalie was obviously needed so that was the one free agent picked up. Matt Murray, former Pittsburgh, Ottawa and Toronto goaltender, wasnt getting any offers so he was snapped up to hopefully be steady. 2.5 star current so not great but a great improvement on what we previously had. He's got a Scotland flag on his helmet, so he'll do.

There was also a couple of waiver claims, C Philipp Kurashev (current 2.5, potential 2.5) and D Ryan Lindgren (2.5 and 3.0) and the roster was as good as it was getting. A winning pre-season (4-3) and maybe the team wont be too awful?

So here are the lines to start the season:

First line - Carl Grundstrom/Anthony Richard/Jesper Fast - Richard is a perimeter shooter, so paired with Grundstrom the Power Forward and tactic set to "Crash the Net". That sounds like it should work? Right? Fast is a backchecking forward to balance the other two out

Second Line - Yauheni Aksiantsiuk/Philip Kurashev/Justin Danforth. Kurashev is a playmaker, Danforth is a sniper so they sound like a goalscoring pair

Third Line - Jiri Sekac/Sam Carrick/Warren Foegele - Third line is the defensive line, it'll start mainly in our own zone and be up against the opponents top line, so it's all defensive and grindy. Carrick is good for faceoffs, the plan is he wins the faceoff then the others clear the zone and dump and chase. Carrick actually starts the season injured, but that's the plan.

Fourth Line - Tyler Savard/Odeen Tufto/Anatoli Golyshev - It's really just anybody left who's not awful. Not as defensive and grindy as I was planning.

Defensive pairing

First - Brenden Dillon and Darren Raddysh
Second - Niko Mikkola and Jacob Bryson
Third - Ryan Lindgren and Michael Stone.

We've got a lot of Stay-at-home defenders, so top two lines are a Stay-at-home (Dillon and Mikkola) paired with somebody a bit more adventurous (Raddysh and Bryson). Third line is all defensive because that's all that's left.

Goalies are Matt Murray backed up Zach Fucale.

But will it all work? First game looks good, a 3-1 win to kick off the season at Seattle (Anthony Richard with the first ever Huskies goal, Darren Raddysh with the first ever assist). And that's when I find out that I dont understand the Salary Floor rules. I thought it was "you can spend less than this, but you'll be fined". It's actually "you have to spend at least the salary floor or the game wont let you advance to the next day".

So Anchorage Huskies have $32 million to spend and less than 24 hours to spend it. It's like Trading Places.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote