View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 06:37 PM   #2388
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I finished The Witcher last night and I thought it was a solid start. I wish they had been more upfront with the different timelines thing as it confused the hell out of my wife. The challenge the writers faced in telling Yennifer's origin story and tying her to Geralt is the different time periods. When the 3rd Witcher game begins, IIRC, Yennifer is roughly 100 years old and Geralt is in his 60s.

I read some interviews with the showrunner and I'm optimistic about where it's headed. She acknowledged the issues with season 1 and explained that the primary goal of season 1 was to get the backstory in and introduce the characters before diving too deep into the plot. With the amount of detail in the Witcher universe I think that approach makes sense.

Jumping into this blind has be daunting though. The first couple of episodes where spent with me pausing every few minutes to explain little things they don't have the time to stop and explain or they wait to explain later on. Why does a Witcher carry 2 swords? Why are his eyes black and you can see the veins in his face sometimes? What's the deal with Nilfgaard? What's the law of surprise? What's the deal with Ciri's magic?

Overall what stood out to me was the combat scenes with Geralt are fantastically done and they did a solid job of capturing the tone of the world.

Yes! That confused the hell outta me, too.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote