Radii
Head Coach

Half
Time
OHIO
AZ
Notes
15:15
They get the first 6th man boost of the day as their giant PF Love blocks two shots on one possession.
12:30
Bad sign for us as Jimenez misses 2 open 3's in our first stretch and Santiago another. They have 3 or 4 blocks and a steal when we try to go inside. Both our buckets came from driving to the hoop but we're not getting by their men more often than not. Tough nut to crack so far to find points.

Backups are in.
9:00
We fall behind 12-6 and are worried about a double digit deficit so early with all the trouble we're having scoring. Barker comes up huge again with a 3 pointer, and then after a blocked shot Withers gets a bucket inside for us, and we trail only by 1. They score next time down to make it 3 but we're hanging in.
6:50
4 more in a row for Arizona and I call a timeout. Starters are coming back in except Jimenez who is still a bit tired. Barker will play SG for a short period of time.
5:50
Jimenez back in. Santiago whiffs on a wide open 3 and we disparately need those shots falling if we're going to contend here.
5:35
Their center, Keller, has 2 fouls and sits. Bright is good at the line and its a 6 point game.
!
5:15
Well, we've only drawn 4 fouls all half. 2 on Kellar their center, and 2 on their stud PG Benzel. He sits too. McCully tipped a pass, Bright picked it up at the 3 point line and took it full court and attacked... I love his speed at times. He goes up strong and Benzel with the block.

HALF
The downside of getting their big men into foul trouble is that they just put 6'9” SF's in at center and dunk on us every time down. Our offense was great down the stretch, Jimenez hit 2 3's, we drew some good fouls and other than Jimenez missing two FT's we were flawless, had the lead down to 2, 29-27, at one point. But we were totally unable to stop them. I don't think we got a single stop their last 6 trips down. At least 4 were dunks as their athletic SF cut to the basket through/around/by Grundy or Bright. Their PF, Love, has 8. No one else with more than 5, balanced scoring. They shoot 16-27, just 1-4 from 3.

We are getting a massive % of our poitns at the line. 14-17 from the line on 8 fouls(fouled twice shooting 3's). We are 7-24 from the field, 3-12 from 3. Jimenez has 10 on 3-9 shooting only. Bright has 6, only 1-3 there. Grundy 0-2, Santiago 0-2... we need to keep attacking the basket as they foul hard and a lot, but we have to make more shots.

We also have to stop the early 2nd half run that good teams often make.
15:00
Missed opportunities like crazy. Our offense is really clicking, but we missed two chances to cut it to two and gave them two wide open 3's due to dumb mistakes(playing a passing lane and missing, and just not getting back well after playing tight full court D). They drain both and we are totally outplaying Arizona right now but a few mental lapsses allow them to have a 6 point lead.

I had to call a timeout to avoid a held ball earlier and only have 3 left for the game.
14:30
Hmm. McCully drives and draws foul #3 on Keller. He sits. Unfortunatley, McCully sits with an injury. Barker hits both free throws. No word on the injury yet.
12:30
UGH. Bright misses a hook... Jimenez drives but meets resistance and misses a runner inside. Great defense and two chances to get it down to 2, no luck. McCully is good to go, sore knee is all. I bring in the backups for now, McCully will likely come back in earlier than the rest of the starters.
12:05
More great D, and Whitted on the break. Benzel commits his 3rd foul and has to sit. Whitted just hits 1 of 2 at the line, lead down to 3. We have had so many chances, we should be winning and I fear this is going to bite us badly.
9:50
We just cannot get it going on offense, and now they are starting to heat up a bit with a big dunk and a 3.
8:50
Northcutt with two turnovers in 10 seconds, 4 points for them in transition. I call a timeout, down to 2. Starters aren't ready to return yet
6:30
WOW!!!! After the timeout, they use some tight pressure in the backcourt to force a turnover, but can't convert right away. A couple misses and a couple turnovers and we get something working finally. Whitted with a basket inside, Barker with one, and Hogan on a secondary break gets a 3 point play and makes his free throw!!! As soon as they got the steal, at about 8:45, I called for my starters but we got on the break and got moving. We kept on the run and the clock never stopped so they stayed out. 5 point game, starters are in!!
6:00
Oh man, so sad. Great steal by McCully, but he has a sore knee as reported earlier... he's SO slow. He couldn't take it all the way and will be a shell of his normal self the rest of the way if this stays the same...we set up though and Santiago drives by his man and hits a big shot, 3 point game, 6th man for us! Timeout Arizona.
5:40
Holy crap Bright with a beautiful block on Keller down low. Santiago runs the break and takes it himself, drawing a foul. Makes both FT's, one point game. Both teams 6th man down the stretch.
4:20
Two more misses by them. First trip Santiago misses an open 3. Second he draws a foul, misses the first free throw, makes the second and we're tied. Timeout Arizona.
2:55
This is insane. They throw the inbounds pass away. Kinda like Santiago did in an earlier game(Uconn maybe?) where he just inexplicably couldn't hit McCully 5 feet away... they did that, only the 3rd time I've ever seen it now, heh. We turn it over, they miss a shot. We get Santiago a good look inside and he misses. They throw it away in transition. We get a wide, wide open 3 from Jimenez... no good. They rush a shot, no good. We try to run and throw it away in transition. They try to run and throw it right back away.

I'm not calling a timeout, but I am pausing it to write this up to remind me to slow this shit down and get a good shot next time down.
2:35
We run a screen play down low, intended to get Bright the ball, but Santiago's man falls over, Santiago with a wide open shot from the free throw line, GOOOOOD. We take the lead. Timeout Arizona.
2:20
They get it inside to Love and finally get a bucket. That was a 6 ½ minute scoring streak. Neither team has the 6th man going now. Getting momentum and a bucket here is key.
1:35
Ugh, we get Bright off a little screen but he can't go up cleanly. He ends up hitting Santiago who has to take a little fadeaway from 18 feet to beat a shot clock violation, and misses.
1:20
They get Love a pretty solid look inside, I'm shocked he missed. Bright with the board, and we call a timeout. We actually had two left(I thought it was just 1). Now we have 1 left, and the TO kills their 6th man. Our ball.
0:55
Weird, weird, weird. McCully gets off a grundy screen and has an open lane. Love from the weakside challenges I guess(he went up clean with a layup animation) and the shot doesn't go. They fast break, throw an alley oop that just falls harmlessly and we pick it up... our ball again.
0:41
I want a 2 for 1 here so I get straight into my offense. Bright catches a lob near the low post, they double fast, Bright gets it out to jimenez who is money on an open 3 pointer. 60-57 Ohio lead!!!! Timeout Arizona
0:33
Nooooooo, I go in to help inside with Jimenez and commit a foul on Love as he makes a shot. 3 point play opportunity. FT good Gah what did I do that for. I call my last timeout to hopefully get them out of their press. No taking any chances here, Santiago or Jimenez at the buzzer.

REG
Santiago got a decent, but not perfect look. It rims out but it was at the buzzer at least. OVERTIME.
OT
3:55
They score first. We get a Santiago basket on our end to tie it. They fall down against our pressure and McCully picks it up, but he doesn't have the speed to get to the basket so I pull it out. Jimenez hits a little shot from 5 feet out after running off a screen. Timeout Arizona. They had 2 starting the OT. Now we both have 1.
OT
2:45
Benzel drives by McCully late in the shot clock.for a layup. I cannot stress enough how much this injury is effecting him, Benzel went by him like he wasn't there. On our end we get a wide open 3 by Santiago but its no good, their ball.
OT
2:13
Love scores in deep for them. Keller fouls Grundy on our next trip, that's his 4th, and their 7th. Grundy makes the first, msises the second. Bright with the rebound!!! Love and Keller are right there and I pull it out.
OT
1:50
Jimenez isolated one on one, drives, and draws a shooting foul on Love. 1st one no good. 2nd swishes through. Tie game, their ball.
OT
1:00
We get a stop , Bright fucks up in the high post and turns it over, but they miss a 3, Bright with the board(his 10th), and its our ball.
OT
0:37
Bright about 10 feet from the basket, gets a screen from Santiago and goes up, its not easy at all, a little 6 footer in traffic, contested, it rolls around and IN! Their ball. I wanted to try to shoot sooner but whatever.
OT
0:06.5
Their SG, Kone, burns Jimenez and goes by him. Bright comes over to help and commits a foul, its enough to force a miss. Kone to the line for 2. 1st is good. 2nd is... good. I get it to half court and call my timeout.

I inbounds the ball to Jimenez. He has Kone one on one on the left wing. He drives and gets a step and goes hard to the basket. Keller fouls him with 2.5 seconds left. Keller has fouled out. Jimenez steps to the line, makes the first, makes the second!!!!

They inbound the ball, throw a pass to halfcourt and Santiago is there to tip it away!!!!!!! Time runs out and Ohio has defeated Arizona to advance to the sweet 16!!!!!!!!

Ohio 70
Arizona 68
OT

For the game Arizona shoots just under 50%, 28-60. They're 4-12 from 3 and 8-8 at the line. We shot 17 first half Fts, going 14-17. We shot 15 more the second half and OT combined, but only made 8, a potentially costly problem.

Love leads them with 15, Keller and Kone 10, Benzel 9, Draughan 8. It seemed when we were coming back that they were constantly trying to fast break and they were very sloppy, seemed like something I'd do in their situation

McCully: 4 points/4 steals
Jimenez: 18 points
Santiago: 19 points
Bright: 10 points/10 boards/5 assists
Grundy: 1 points/7 boards

Barker: 8 points

Santiago was 1-8 from 3, 5-15 overall, but 8-9 at the line. Jimenez was a bit better, 5-13, 3-8 from 3, 5-8 from the line.

What a win!!! That was without question the tightest, most intense game I've ever played. I cannot believe we came back after letting them go up 55-43 around the 8 ½ minute mark.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote