View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #629
Radii
Head Coach

Graduating Seniors

PF Lloyd Bright - 6'8" 238 lbs - 84 OVR

Only in Bright's senior year did I finally begin to focus on post play seriously. And in my in game experiences, Grundy with 5 more inches of height, seemed often more effective, despite Bright's far superior ratings.

Bright was still key to this elite 8 team with 10.1 ppg/7.8 rebounds per game. Over his career he averaged 7.7 points/7.1 rebounds a game. He was a 4 year starter, missing about 10 games due to injury his junior season, starting 122 out o122 games he played.

bright was the #94 recruit in the nation, and the #13 PF, top 100 big men are quite hard to land at a mid-major because of the recruit distribution, so this was a huge score for me at the time. And, he developed into the highest rated player I've ever coached. For his career Bright shot 46% from the field, but most notably when I had a team that was shooting in the low to mid 60% range from the free throw line, Bright was the first guy I brought in that consistently shot over 70%, 74% for his career.

PF Nathan Grundy - 7'1" 274 lbs - 77 OVR

Gundy averaged 11.4 ppg and 5.7 rpg his senior year. For his career he aveaged 8.2 ppg/5.0 rpg. He had B- potential and developed quite nicely, by his senior year he was a legitiately talented big man, not just a 7'1" giant. He shot 53% from the field for his career, but was just a 65% free throw shooter. Grundy didn't become an everyday starter until his senior year, playing 126 games and starting 45 of them.

SF Dwight Snowden - 6'8" 230 lbs - 71 OVR

Not much to say here. Snowden came in as a JC transfer and just was rated far worse than I expected. He got some time as a backup SF his senior year as I bounced between him and Whitted for the backup SF spot at times. For his career he was a 385 shooter averaging under 2 points/game.

The loss of Bright and Grundy may have a lot to do with my decision to stay or leave Ohio this year. I'm going to have backcourt strength that will certainly matchup with any mid-major program in the nation and probably many major programs as well. But Withers and Hogan as my starting front court... with unknown quantities backing them up. I would not be surprised if we were less consistent and struggled more vs similar teams next season because of these losses inside.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote