View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 AM   #190
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Assistant Leaving 2025!

Inside a plush basketball office in the Chuck Amato Athletic Building at N.C. State University over a catered lunch by Miami Subs

Victory: George Mason? I thought they were Division II or something.

Sheriff: Nope, they’re D-1. They play in the Colonial Athletic Association with other regal schools like William & Mary, James Madison and Old Dominion. The perfect place for The Sheriff.

Victory: Perfect? Are you crazy? You’d leave the national champions to be the head coach of a no-name college basketball team like George Mason? We should be favored to win the NCT again next year – maybe for the next five years. I don’t even know GMU’s nickname. The Giraffes?

Sheriff: It’s Patriots, and hey they are giving me a chance to build my own career from the ground up. A certain someone I know once took over the worst college basketball program in the nation just to get his own gig. Remember that Mr. Victory? Unlike you back then, I’m not 30 years old. I’m over 50. The time’s ticking on my own 15-year quest to win an NCT title… Hand me a napkin, will ya?

Victory: Ummm. What can I say?

Sheriff: Besides, a lot of folks think I was the brains behind our operation here at State the past few years anyway. No offense, but we took off from sub-.500 to NCT contenders as soon as I got here. I know I can do this. You stopped me from taking over my own program once. You’re not going to stop me again.

Victory: Ummm. Yeah, I guess it wouldn’t be fair to make you a Bill Guthridge and only hand you the scraps of my program when you’re like 70 years old after I retire. Well, my friend. It was fun while it lasted. Let’s say State and George Mason meet in the Final Four sometime in the next few years.

Sheriff: George Mason will win.

Victory: Umph…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote