View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #260
sabotai
General Manager

The Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)

Directed By: Mervyn LeRoy, Busby Berkely
Written By: Erwin S. Gelsey, James Seymour
Starring: Warren William, Joan Blondell, Aline MacMahon, Ruby Keeler, Dick Powell
Length: 96 min.
Genre: Musical Comedy
Based On: The Play "The Gold Diggers" which ran from 1919 to 1920

More of a comedy than 42nd Street, a lot of the humor in this movie is very out-dated. But, I still found some of it funny.

The movie is about a group of women trying to make it big in theater. They get word that a producer they've worked with before is putting on a new show. It'll be about the working man and the depression. The only problem is he has no funding.

A man who lives across the alley is a piano player and singer, and is dating one of the girls. He's trying to make it with his music, and the producer hears him playing. The producer loves the music and wants him to write the songs. And sing! But, the young man declines to sing in the show, but will create the music. And after hearing about the producer needing money, claims he can get it. No one believes him, and the next day he's late, but he does show up with the money. The gang suspects foul play.

Turns out, the young starving artist is actually wealthy, and that comes to light after the show when the young songwriter had to participate in the musical. The songwriter's rich older brother and his even older associate demand that the relationship be called off.

Comedy twist, they make this demand to the wrong girl. Hilarity ensues as the younger brother tells the girls to keep stringing the older brother and older associate along. They do, but people start catching feelings. The movie ends with a super mega happy ending.

I actually enjoyed this movie, despite the really outdated comedy. The first several scenes are the most brutal when it comes to that, but once the film hits its stride, when the older brother comes into it, it becomes quite humorous.

This musical is where the song "We're in the Money" comes from, and I'm sure just reading that title put the song in your head. You're welcome.

My Rating: 7/10
IMDB User Rating: 8.0/10 (6k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% of Critics (10-0), 86% of Audience (4 / 5 ; 2k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote