View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #273
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
That doesn't mean people don't care about issues in varying amounts and degrees. I think the anti-war crowd had an impact during Obama's presidency, and small-government types did in Trump's (most obviously during COVID). There's just a massive gap between 'we care about this and only this is enough numbers to swing national elections' and 'we mostly just say we care about this but don't really'. There are multiple issues at play for most people, the natural human bias towards a candidate who does things we like on unrelated issues, etc.

I think it helped Obama get elected, but it also disappeared when he took office and was drone striking villages. Also the next two nominees of that party were individuals who voted for the Iraq War.

When Trump spent like a drunken sailor, none of the Tea Party voices said a word. Perfectly happy with handouts to people and businesses. The huge welfare increases for farmers.

I'm sure there are some diehards out there that truly stand by their principles. But most of this country doesn't really care as long as their person is doing it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote