View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You're right SI. I've always had this thought that the extent of what is public knowledge is still pretty far behind where we actually are. Take the Snowden leaks for example. There is tech that is out there that surpasses what we know, but the question is what is the extent of it. It probably has nothing to do with this and isn't applicable. Hypothetically, could something exist, be used and passed off as something else?

What it really makes me think is that if there's something that is "10 years off", there's a good chance someone already has it if there's a use for it in the military. Technology moves unevenly so some things may be behind and others ahead. But time and again, when things are declassified, we see "futuristic technology" in use.

It makes me think that when you see a trade magazine that says "this will be common in the next 10 years", you can guess that if it can make money or make military sense, it's already here in some form either just in infancy and on the fast track or already fully developed but not industry standard yet.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote