View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #57
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Oops, I hit "submit" before I profiled the strikers. They'd probably enjoy having the stage to themselves, anyway.

Sam Wilson (18) and Matthew Reece (20), you know. Sam notched 15 goals last year as Jack Adams' partner, and Matthew potted three in four starts. They'll both have to scrap for time this year, though, because some enticing striker candidates were willing to come to Wantage Town.

Shaquile Coulthirst (18) is a slightly faster, somewhat more dangerous version of Wilson; he also comes equipped with a classic name and some nice dreads. Shaq came over to Wantage from Tottenham, along with Gardiner and McQueen. Thank you, Spurs.

Clive Platt (35) is a boss. He's a leader, and he'd like go into coaching or management one day. For now, he's a steely-eyed 6'4" striker who is deadly in the air. Clive isn't flashy, but he's learned enough in over 500 league games (98 career goals) to get the job done in a number of ways.

We signed Tobi Alabi (18) after Blue Square Premier side Ebbsfleet United released him on a free. He didn't score much last year--one goal in 34 appearances--but we think his strength and pace will make him a force in the Hellenic League. Tobi is eligible to play for either England or Nigeria, and he just learned he will earn his first cap for the Nigeria U20 team this month.

Welshman Nathaniel Jarvis (20) gives us another fast, physical presence up front. In fact, Coulthirst, who's a solid 5'10", 163 lbs, is our smallest striker. Jarvis scored 11 times in 37 appearances for Kidderminster Harriers (BSB Premier), so he knows how to find the net.

Jarvis is still awaiting his first Wales cap, but his countryman, Richard Peniket (20), won his at the U21 level last year. Fulham bought him for £100,000, but he never appeared for The Cottagers before they released him in June. He'll definitely turn out for us; he's a little less polished than his teammates, but he's faster than all of them except Alabi.

Are seven good strikers too many? Sam, Tobi, and Richard will probably be away on international duty from time to time. It seems like forwards tire quickly, so I think I'll find playing time for all of them when the fixtures come close together. And, there are a few higher-level clubs flirting with Wilson, too. For now, I'll try different combinations together, seeing who works best with whom.

THE BACKROOM BOYS
Jody McKay
(39) is listed as a striker/attacking midfielder, and he filled in up top a few times in '12-'13, scoring once. As long as he's happy not playing and concentrating on his role as a coach--which he does well--he won't see the pitch this season.

Neither will Anton Sambrook (39), listed as a left back, but doing much more for The Afredians as chief scout. I might allow Jody, Anton, and Jo Tessem play one match together toward the end of the season, if I can.

Incidentally, I wonder what I need to do in order to maximize my chances of keeping Tessem, McKay, and Sambrook as my backroom team after they retire as players?

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 05-28-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote