View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Unless it's stated otherwise, all the matches I'm summarizing are part of the South Midlands League First Division programme.

9 August: Southall 2-1 Stony Stratford Town
Cassidy, Wallace, Cresswell, I. Williams, Charles, Street, Barton, Bowen, Edwards, Curtis, Buzzeo.
A stocky little striker called Matt Reeves spoiled our trip to west London with a pair of goals. The game was a very even contest, except on the scoreboard--where it counts most. Mark Buzzeo scored for the good guys. Bobby Creswell got beaten badly on Reeves' first goal, but he atoned for it (somewhat) by intercepting 25 passes.

11 August
The Southall match turned out to be Kevin Mickelborough's last with the club. I offered him a mutual termination, and he accepted it. The next day, I learned that his replacement, Ryan Brady, had agreed to terms. Ryan represents a significant upgrade, at the same wages we were paying Kevin. And Kevin ended up on his feet, taking over as manager at Irlam a week later.

We got more good news that day. Denis Mark joined us as a coach. He's not a great man manager, but he ticks the rest of the boxes. Just like that, the standard of coaching at the club took two big leaps forward.

16 August: Hatfield Town 2-1 Stony Stratford Town
Cassidy, Draper, Cresswell, I Williams, Charles, R. Williams, Bowen, Wallace, Hackett, Curtis, Buzzeo.
South East Counties Senior Cup, First Round
The Hats are a division rival, and I'd have preferred a less challenging First Round tie. They struck twice, late in the first half; we fought back gamely, with Craig Curtis pulling one back. It was a cracking good match, and I couldn't be too hard on the lads when it was over. We played the last eight minutes with ten men, after Richard Williams left with an injury. Creswell was again a disruptive force with 20 intercepted passes.

23 August: Stony Stratford Town 4-1 Broxbourne
Cassidy, Knight, Cresswell, I. Williams, Charles, Barton, Bowen, Wallace, Street, Curtis, Holyoak.
Today was a Fan Day, and we treated a bumper crowd of 326 to a very entertaining victory.

John Holyoak got his first start and was Man of the Match, scoring once and setting up Liam Barton with an incisive cross. Ian Williams got a goal, and Buzzeo came off the bench to join the party.

This one felt good.

31 August: Edgware 1-1 Stony Stratford Town
Cassidy, Draper, Cresswell, I. Williams, Charles, Street, Wallace, Bowen, Barton, Curtis, Buzzeo.
Edgware Town were the media pick for league champion, so playing them away will always be a tough test. This was the first of two straight matches against the Wares, as we'll face them in the FA Vase next week.

Edgware's Stefan Head used that part of his anatomy to direct a cross past Dominic Cassidy for the Wares' goal, and Buzzeo's shot caromed off an Edgware defender's kiester for the equalizer.

I'll take a point from a trip to the White Lion Ground anytime.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-25-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote