View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

6 September: Edgware 2-3 Stony Stratford Town
FA Vase, First Qualifying Round
It's not quite an hour to the Edgware district, and we returned there for an FA cup tie a week after we played them to a draw in the league. Mark Buzzeo put us on the board first, but Stefan Head equalized--with his right boot this time. Six minutes later, Liam Barton drew a yellow card. Within another minute, he'd drawn another, and as I exploded in my technical area, Liam took the long walk to the dressing room. He'll face a one-game ban for his dismissal, and he accepted the stern warning I gave him like a man.

To their credit, the lads didn't back down. Craig Curtis volleyed home a Jamie Hackett cross, but after two more minutes, Edgware had drawn level again. The crowd roared, and the Wares smelled blood, battering us with wave after wave of pressure. The defense was up to the task, protecting Sam Smith, who got his first start for us in goal.

Just after the hour mark, we drew a corner, and center half Ian Williams rose up and headed Brian Street's delivery in at the far post. From there, we held on for the victory.

We took home £500 for our victory, which made it that much sweeter.

11 September
Despite Jamie Hackett's fine performance in the last match, I still believed I needed reinforcements on the left side of midfield. Today, we signed Dave Amos, a 32-year-old veteran free agent. Dave has retained much of his athleticism, he's hard-working and determined, and he's willing to do his part defensively. He can play all along the left side, too.

13 September: Stony Stratford Town 3-1 Bedford FC
Amos was on the team sheet for our return to Ostler's Lane two days later. Buzzeo again put us ahead early, getting his head to a long, looping pass from Nigel Bowen and nodding it in. That scoreline held until the 88th minute. Once again, Ian Williams demonstrated his lethal skill on set pieces, heading home a Sam Edwards corner. Captain Max Wallace added an insurance goal in stoppage time.

20 September: Stony Stratford Town 2-0 Harpenden
The Buzzer's terrific form continued, as he struck for a brace and powered us to our third straight victory. Mark now has six goals in seven appearances in all comps.

I had a talk this week with Richard Williams, who wanted more first team football. I liked the way he approached me, so I told him I'd give him a chance. He thanked me in fine fashion, assisting on Buzzeo's first goal.

We're off next week, so this is it for September...and I like the way things are looking now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table.jpg (75.9 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 02-24-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote