View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #132
Subby
lolzcat

So we decided to take the family on an Orlando vacation in the spring, with a few days at Disney. My wife and I have four boys, ages 13, 11, 9, and 9. Our schedule set up so we spent a few days in St. Augustine at the beach, then drove to Orlando for four straight days of theme parks. We did the first day at Lego Land (where I would recommend staying away unless all of your kids are 6 or younger). We did the second day at Universal Islands of Adventure. Got there at 8am, left at 10pm, completely exhausted. The lines were pretty crazy, at least an hour wait for almost everything. We got around that a little bit by going single rider, but its not as fun for the whole family if you don't get to ride together.

We were a little worried about Disney. We bought two day park hoppers for six, so we had a ton of flexibility, but we were really concerned about the wait times. We could do some fast pass here and there, but that only gets you so far.

As some folks here might know, my 11 year-old has Down syndrome. His stamina, while impressive at times, tends toward melt down when he has to wait in line or stand still for long periods of time.

But we decided to tough it out and just do as much as he could do, even if that meant riding just a few rides. Then a cool thing happened. We were waiting in line at bag check when my wife met another family with a little girl with Ds. They told us that we needed to head over to guest services with our kid and they would help us out. So we did. And they did, no questions asked.

We were given a ticket that, when shown to the host for each ride, got us in the fast pass line. For every single ride. Almost every ride for two days at every park had a wait of 60-90 minutes, but our son was able to ride everything. I felt a little guilty, but at the end of the day it was a nice little bit of recognition for him and he felt like a rock star. For a kid who was dealt such a shitty hand in this life, it was nice for him to be able to be king for two days. We weren't huge Disney fans before that, but they completely exceeded our expectations and have found fans for life after this experience. There was never any attitude or sidelong glances or anything from any of the cast members and there absolutely could have been with six of us hitting the fastpass line every time.

This picture is what happiness looks like and it is in large thanks to Disney and their willingness to go above and beyond accommodating a family with a boy with special needs (he loved Rock n Rollercoaster so much he got the shirt!).

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 07-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote