View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #449
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sporting, here we go.

Get us revenge! Begin controlling, I do.

Goals:

Goal 1 – Komorski, 12th minute
Goal 2 – Komorski, 19th minute
Half
Goal 3 – Holenda, 67th minute

Okay, sure, it was just a game at home, and Sporting isn’t really a major threat to us anymore and it’s like they turned in their Big Three badge a couple of seasons ago.

But that’s also part of the point. If Sporting doesn’t matter, and if Maritimo doesn’t matter (and they haven’t not for a while), then who is left?

As of right now, we everyone having 3 games under their belt, we are the only club with three wins. We began in 1st, because of the huge GD in the first win, and we could have it the entire seasons. That’s boring. Want to chase meaningless records all over mary’s barn? Win more seasonal awards?

There’s nothing left to chase, except for European play, and that takes too long to get too, and is too easily to disappoint for me. Shoot, I might qualify out of our group.

I could sweep Club Brugge. Then win against Dotmund or Tottenham here in Madeira, steal a tie somewhere, finish with 10 or 11 points and get 2nd.

Or I could get mauled by Tottenham, and Dortmund – they are both better clubs. And Club Brugge might be the one stealing wins from me. And then boom, I’m last again.

So here’s what I have to look forward to – a bunch of blows outs on my side, and then anything from 2nd to 4th in the Champions league Group Stage, year after year.

Sure, I fought tooth and nail to get here, and I’m happy that we are on the mountaintop. But that’s it. I have gotten Madeira to the top. Sure, we’ll climb up a bit more. We’ll crack the Top 20 clubs in Europe like Benfica/Porto had (Benfica is still there, we’ll swap for Porto’s spot likely) and might eventually, get us to the 2 spot in Group Stages rather than the 3 spot.

We are rich, we are 25th in Europe, we are upgrading our youth facilities, we have a nasty squad, and we are now worth 118 M. For the first time, ever, we have a season ticket sold for every seat in the stadium. We have expanded our scouting, training, coaching, and staffing from every angle. Almost 50% of our merchandise sales head abroad to other nations.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote