View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

This is a select organization that trains and has teams of all ages (they're partnered with Garciapara Baseball Group which is run by Nomar and his brother). They train out the same building and with the same instructors. They're just in and out of the building and off the fields at different times. This organization is different than most in that it focuses on development rather than wins and loses, especially at the younger ages. My son being added isn't out of the ordinary for this group. For tournaments (which this was) it's fairly common because the organization works with pitch counts and usage limits for pitchers/catchers that most select teams don't have to deal with (my son's primary team has 2 kids that bounce in and out). As someone that coached for this group for 2 years the extra players are much needed sometimes. Explaining to parents why we need 2 fill in players to get us to 12 players for a 4 game plus tournament over 2 days is always fun though.

This tournament started on Friday. Friday night we got an email inviting us out for Saturday. Their first game of the year was the game Friday that my son wasn't at. I'm guessing the reason we got the email was because they were down to 1 catcher for the weekend, it was expected to be in the low to mid 90s (incredibly hot for Western Washington) both Saturday and Sunday, and they needed someone to catch at least 1 game. So for the weekend my son played 1 game plus 2 innings when they ran out of players.

So while this would technically qualify as a travel ball type thing, it's different than most. The head of the organization actually told my son's coach he was looking for a catcher for this 15u team and knew my son could handle it. They got my approval and sent the info to the coach to have on hand if needed.

On the other hand, I do agree it's somewhat predictable. I've been around youth parents long enough to know that. I'm just always disappointed when I see things like this. I'll just go back to bringing a chair and sitting as far away from everyone as I can.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote