View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

One of my good friends (Jon I think you met him when we came to Athens a few years ago) coaches an elite travel baseball team in SC.

He has the best scenario Ive ever heard and the track record to pull it off. The first practice each year it is mandatory that both parents attend if the kid is to play on the team. (There is some wiggle room for kids without 2 parents in the picture, of course but if the kid is involved with the parent the parent HAS to attend the meeting)

The coach lays out his 3 rules to the parents.
1)He and his coaches are the coaches and no one not inside the fence is to coach or teach his players at any time that they are inside the fence. He uses the example no "choke up" no "swing earlier" you can cheer and encourage but not teach in any manner.
2) This is a team. We are a solid unit and we never down talk our teammates on the field or off. We are all flawed we recognize we have flaws and we dont need peers pointing those flaws out. That destroys not builds.
3) You play when and where the coach tells you to, you do not offer input on either factor.

Violation 1 The parent is barred from attending any future games.
Violation 2 The kid is kicked off the team and no refund is offered.

He says its been 3 years since he has had to deal with any violations. They are by far the most successful team around. Kids love playing for him and parents all get along. He says he generally loses 2-3 kids every year at that meeting.

I did get to watch him one time enforce his rules at a 12U game. One of his better players comes up to bat and swings and misses at pitch 1. Dad yells from the stands"Keep your back elbow up son, don't drop it."

"Time out"

"Sir, I need you to go sit in your car for the rest of the day."
"I'm not leaving"
"Ok, we have a substitution, blue. New batter."

Kid turns around and says "Thanks dad, why do you do this."

Melt down.

Remainder of season kid bats clean up, Dad stays home. Kid now plays college ball.

Happily ever after.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote