View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I remember my little league team, we had a girl, and she was horrible, but she played a lot and nobody gave a shit.

The first team I played on -- back in the really olden days of "town ball", pre-dating county-wide rec leagues in other words -- had not one girl but three. And one was arguably our best player*, another was in the upper half, only one was kind of bench fodder.

Probably gave me an ahead-of-the-times outlook of "if you got game, you got game".

Quote:
One time I had our first basemens mom come to me and ask me if I could throw the ball a little softer to him (I was playing second for some reason that I don't remember, I was normally a 3rd basemen so I guess I was still firing it, even though I didn't really need to.) I didn't take offense.

Now this, on the other hand, that's mind-boggling to my experiences. Something like that, back in the day, oh dear me. For a parent to do that would have been the kiss of death socially & athletically for the kid most likely.

And, you know, it was a different time & place. If he's making the plays then I see no issue. And if he isn't making the plays then even from a very early single-digit age I would have had enough baseball savvy to try to make the adjustment on my own thank-you-very-much. It's in my best interest for him to catch damned ball after all.

edit to add: I will say, after a moment's hindsight, that those three girls were all 2-3 years older than me and among our oldest players generally. Like I said, different era, so I think the team had players that ranged from about 6 or 7 up through 12 years old.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-07-2016 at 11:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote