View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
People are going to make mistakes.

At the current rate, many shouldn't be doing the job. I'd take 7 day a week scheduling over the current situation.

There are weeks where the sheer ineptitude renders the games almost unwatchable. We're not simply talking the occasional missed/bad call, we're talking about it's become not unusual to have one official tell the sidelines that "I don't know what he's doing, we're trying but we can only fix so much". At least on those nights you know you have some honesty in the crew.

Even competent clock operators (by rule here, a registered official) are even hard to find for playoff games (when the schedules are much lighter) at this point. And again, I'm not talking about a one off mistake that goes with having humans involved, I'm talking about persistent & consistent errors over the course of long stretches. (The kind where the white hat looks into the press box with his arms outstretched to the heavens in the universal WTF gesture)

Over the past decade or so I consider it nothing short of a miracle that post-game shootings aren't commonplace. And that's an outright tribute to the enormous restraint on the part of the fans.

Quote:
Do you get mad at the "people you love" making mistakes when they play sports?

Depends on the nature of the mistake.

I respect good officials, and they get an amount of leeway for human error but regard the bad ones with nothing but contempt. And that's putting it mildly. The system for managing them here seems to have collapsed under its own weight & is in dire need of an overhaul though -- given the state of the broader administration of sports here -- I'm not even sure where it should land. You know it's bad when there seems to be a legitimate chance that the state legislature could do a better job than the current system.