View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #158
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Wild Card Round Wrapup

I was about to write up my own summary of the Wild Card Round action when I realized that the CFL Pressman over at the league website has already done so. Why reinvent the wheel?

Here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFL Pressman at the CFL website
The 2009 CFL wild card round is over and the home team won all 4 games. So the divisional round contains all 8 division winners. Here is a recap of the wild card action:

The Shreveport Pride posted the first shutout in CFL playoff history when they defeated the San Antonio Stingers 27-0. San Antonio was held to 164 yards of total offense, a new CFL playoff record. The Pride's defense was led by DT Derrick Javier who had 5 tackles, 2 assists, and 2.5 sacks. Shreveport goes to Detroit this week to face the Vampires.

The Hartford Attack were already ahead 30-0 early in the 2nd quarter against the defending champion Charleston Monitors. The Attack cruised from there to a final score of 33-14. James Oberg averaged 9.2 yards per pass attempt in the victory, while Landon Hurt completed less than 50% of his passes and averaged 4.3 yards per pass attempt in the loss. The Monitors also turned the ball over 4 times. Hartford's next opponent is the Durham Bulldogs.

The Denver Dynomite also got out to an early lead in their wild card matchup, going into halftime up 28-3 over the Las Vegas Rounders. The final score was 38-18 as the Dynomite move on to face the Tucson Toros in the divisional round. Denver QB Marcus Garibaldi won the offensive player of the week award by completing 25 of his 28 passes (89%!) for 241 yards and 4 TDs.

Finally, the Sacramento Dragons defeated the Tulsa Talons by a score of 28-20. Tulsa's star RB Butch Fulton injured his shoulder late in the first quarter and did not return. The Dragons were outgained 289 yards to 257 yards but they scored a TD on each of their 4 trips into the red zone. Sacramento travels to Boise to face the Stampede this week.

Last edited by Fonzie : 03-22-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote