View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #171
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Roster Analysis Time

We're about to jump on the offseason personnel carousel, and so it seems wise to spend a bit of time evaluate our roster. First up, the offensive backfield:

Code:
Player # Pos Exp Cur/Fut/Yrs Hogan, Milan "Colonel" 4 QB 12 65/69/1 yr. Cassidy, Daryl 8 QB 4 34/53/1 yr. Weinke, Artie 9 QB 4 24/52/3 yrs

All three of last year's QBs are back and under contract. I was most relieved to see Hogan avoided the call of the golf course and returned for his 12th season, which allows us to postpone the inevitable rebuilding mode for at least one more season. He's posted QB Ratings of 97.9 and 95.9 in the last two seasons, and if he keeps that up for another year we may well find our way back into the postseason.

Cassidy has filled in adequately for Hogan when asked, but he needs more seasoning to really be a good starter. Weinke may well end up being better than Cassidy, but he's more of a project. While I might prefer to have a more experienced backup, I'm disinclined to invest much in the way of resources in one when we have needs elsewhere. We're pretty much set at QB, but if a backup QB shakes loose we'll give 'im a look.

Code:
Player # Pos Exp Cur/Fut/Yrs Bradley, Daryl 22 RB 7 55/55/3 yrs Holliday, Drew 42 RB 5 61/65/1 yr. Robbins, Grant 30 RB 3 29/42/2 yrs Jeffries, Corwin 26 FB 5 52/52/5 yrs Brown, Antonio 23 FB 5 26/34/1 yr.

Holliday is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and we'll have a decision to make about him before this season is through. He continues to post excellent numbers, and if we get another "average" year (1400 yds, 12 TDs) from him we'll be in good shape.

Bradley might be one of the most underrated weapons in the league. He's an excellent backup to Holliday (4.7 ypc and 5 rushing TDs last year), is one of our top receiving options out of the backfield, and is a top punt returner to boot. I love having a security blanket like him. Grant Robbins is a project player, but has some promising potential in some areas.

Jeffries is our starting fullback, and is a good receiver out of the backfield. He also does a good job in run blocking. Brown is our backfield leader, and is unlikely to ever see the field.

Overall, our offensive backfield is set. I'm happy with what we've got.

Last edited by Fonzie : 04-08-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote