View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #178
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Offseason Moves To Date

The CFL is currently in Week 5 of Free Agency. We went into the offseason a few million over the cap. After some renegotiations we got up to about $4 million in cap space, some of which must be reserved for our few remaining draft picks. The players we've picked up so far:

WR Courtney Hodges - Hodges, a 3rd year player, was brought in because of his 3rd down receiving skills (58/74) and his ability to return kicks (56/64). We had to pay a bit more than I wanted ($760k bonus) for him, as there was considerable market interest. However, he finally gives us a credible kickoff returner, and that's nice.

C Casey Reeves - Reeves came over to us in a trade with the Hartford Attack. We sent them our 2nd rounder next year and P Mark Gilmore for this promising young center. He is currently rated 41/62 by my scout, with a 41/66 in run blocking and 55/81 in pass blocking. With Reeves we got younger on the O-line and don't have to worry about bringing back our problematic position leader, Odum.

C Kenneth Hart - Because Reeves is still young and hasn't fulfilled his potential, we brought in 9-year vet Hart to mentor him (and Buckley). He'll also be a passable backup.

And that's it so far. Three players in, one player out. These are some nice additions, methinks, and we don't really need to do much else with our roster to be competitive this year. We'll see what else shakes loose in FA, but I'm happy with where we're at for now.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote