View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 12:44 AM   #56
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Barkeep49
I think this version offers many more opportunities with the finances than before. It seems to me that you have way overpaid your coordinators and this must be translating to money losing seasons. If this is true, I think rules regarding mandatory profit plus more stringent ticket price rules would give you some nice handicaps to go with.

Way back when I was messing with a Vikings game, I added a house rule that said the team must run at an aggregate profit over the years. If the team fell into the red, I was planning to punish myself by only signing my draft choices and min-sal free agents until I got the team back in the black.

I was moving along at a slow pace, so I don't know the long term ramifications of things like new stadiums, etc., but I had to run a few years at 60% of the cap to make sure I didn't end up in the red, and I never had enough money for good coaches or scouts.

For the short time I ran the dynasty, I liked the rule a lot though. I started with an empty cupboard, so I had the luxury of running big profits up the first two or three years, and they held me over while I started building a new stadium. But I constantly had to keep an eye out for the bottom line because I was afraid that if I ever fell into the red, it could create a nasty spiral (can't sign good players, lose more games, fan interest drops, lose more money, etc.) that would take a few years to climb out of.

Maybe some twist of this rule could make things more difficult and interesting for you?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote