View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Medicating a 5 year old

Before I begin I have definitely sought out the opinions of several health care professionals and friends and family but I also feel like sometimes unbiased advice not knowing my kid at all is also extremely useful. I also know quite a few of you either suffer from anxiety or other similar ailments and can relate to the medicine issue and I feel like the medical field often supports medicating pretty much anything.

Our 5 year old has pretty bad OCD and anxiety with ticks, licking things, and other recognizable habits. Both my dad and me and my brother also suffer in varying degrees. So he has it so bad that he has actually been doing CBT for about 6 months and today finally visited with a psychiatrist. Well I knew what was coming and my wife and I definitely have different thoughts and perspectives. So I have pretty much had OCD my whole life but never took any medicine for it. I obviously feel like I have done fine with a good job, a family, enjoying life experiences, etc... But I think that is also the part of me that is really torn on whether to medicate my kid. What if I had... would things have been better? The same? Worse? My other worry is what do they know about medicating a kid for potentially 80 more years?

Anyone have any experience (positive or negative) that they would wish to share? Not exactly sure what I am looking for here, would love to think I could be convinced one way or the other but maybe just looking for different thoughts and perspectives. 5 is just so damn young!

Last edited by panerd : 06-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote