View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 03:46 AM   #215
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Degner completes Layoff Pass training, and the transfer window closes.

Once again we steal the show, this time with our sales.

9.15 Alemannia Aachen vs. Stuttgarter Kickers
Prestige Cup, Qualifying Round, Second Leg

I'm stunned to see everyone fully rested except for Komolong, who is close. Yep, the keeper is tired. That's what hot weather and a moderately porous defense will do for you. But he's still at like 95%. All we need here is a draw, or to score and lose by no more than one. Aachen decided they didn't like the results of the last match, and are going with six defenders here to keep us from splitting them and shooting through their sweeper.

Ok, we'll go back to going wide, and angle-shooting through your sweeper. First though we need to defend. They go to Muller again, and Doringer makes the play. I try to hold it with Zeitz and succeed, then realize I've positioned us wrong on the attack. Jedin gets the try which still has a fairly good probability, but he can't convert. They try a long lofted pass, the last option of the desperate. It fails, Jager makes a tackle to get it back, and the first half ends scoreless.

The manager then wipes the egg of his face and reorganizes his lineup to get his star the scoring attempt at the second-half kickoff. Nobody comes close to Karger's shot, then Zeitz makes a very rare interecption - he almost always misses due to relatively low defense - and even more amazingly, he hangs onto the ball. Gets it up to Karger again ... another virtuoso strike!(both were at least 40 out of 46 possible, with a minimum of like 14 -- he ate his Wheaties today). They go on the attack, Komolong makes a save, they get it back ... and then in the span of a few minutes, it was Naegeli Time. The young DF ...

** Blocked a shot
** Intercepted a corner kick
** Blocked another shot as time expired.

Dude was getting it DONE.

This is worth a screen. After just squeaking by qualifying in previous years, we easily handle Aachen 3-0 aggregate, with three wins in as many matches against them this season. That just doesn't happen with Stuttgarter teams.

** Levels - Karger(28), Ortag(20), Komolong(18), Naegeli(15), Munster(8)

*** Karger
** Naegeli
* Zeitz

For once I fully agree with these choices.

Munster gets his Amateur Forward license, so we'll stop for his skills choice here. Zeitz also gets his first Talent boost, and will progress with L2 Slide Tackle training post haste.

Do not adjust your sets. This result is not the fault of your reception. We have fans. Like actual fans, not guilt-ridden relatives of players and staff type fans. Now, I expect they will go away after we get plugged in the next round of the Prestige Cup, but this is the first time in years that Stuttgarter locals, at least a few of them, have been interested in watching our next match.

What will we do with the pressure of nearly two dozen spectators?!?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote